• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How many programms can be open/working at the same time?

Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2016 Sep 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, my question is:

How many programms can be open/working at the same time (without slowing down)?

My computer is an:

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Mid 2015)

3,3 GHz Intel Core i5

8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 MB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends on what kind of program you're using and what you are doing in that program. A simple plain text editing software is going to use a lot fewer system resources than editing 4K video in Premiere Pro, for example

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday i had:

Photoshop, Illustrator, Bridge, Muse and inDesign open.

I cant imagine that only because having them open/active the system slows down.

I thought / think they work all together. Having to open them everytime you need a detail woul`nt be that practical.

Of course, when its processing a lot of data in one of the programms, its logical that its time to wait to finish that process before continuing with the work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those seem like a lot to have open at once on a machine with only 8 GB of RAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect Szalam and Nancy O. !
That solves my doubts. I have to upgrade the RAM and hard drives.
Mac Pro for shure, next step.
Thanx a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way to find out is to try it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Graphics apps take a lot of resources (hard disk, RAM and processors).  The more apps you have open, the more resources you need to throw at them.  If you haven't got sufficient resources, you can expect slow downs and other glitches to occur.  For the workflow you describe, a Mac Pro might be a better fit for your computing needs.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/mac/imac-vs-mac-pro-best-mac-desktop-for-professionals-2016-359640...

Nancy O.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 27, 2016 Sep 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have worked with Lightroom and CS6 at the same time, but prefer to keep only one open at a time. The only reason I would have both open is if I am gathering multiple images to play with. Once I gather all of the images then I close Lightroom and only have CS6 open and the HD folder where I am saving the work.

Photoshop editing can work my computer depending on how large the files or how many images I am working with. I don't want to risk it freezing up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines