How to run Adobe Software on Linux

New Here ,
Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, sorry to bother you. I am switching to Linux basically due to Software development limitation on Windows. Apart from a developer, I am also a Designer. I would like to take Illustrator and Adobe xD along with me, but it appears short of running VMs there is no other solution.

So, my Question is: How to create a VM on Ubuntu 18.04, and have it run an OS that supports Adobe. Just an article that is sufficient to a Linux beginner would be fine.

Suggestion: Truth is, I decided to start switching to Figma for Web Design and their Online Tool in the Browser since Figma is on the cloud. IMHO, and don't get offended but Figma is more feature rich than Xd. That being said still Xd interactions are much more fluid for some weird reason. So my suggestion is to make all your apps Browser based.

Thanks for your time.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dimitrise18775767  wrote

So, my Question is: How to create a VM on Ubuntu 18.04, and have it run an OS that supports Adobe.

I would suggest to ask this question an Ubuntu guru! Your option of OS will be quite limited to Windows as MacOS needs Apple hardware...

Discussion successfully moved from Creative Suites to The Lounge

Regards, Abambo
Hard- and Software Engineer and Photographer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Advocate ,
Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dimitrise18775767  wrote

I would like to take Illustrator and Adobe xD along with me, but it appears short of running VMs there is no other solution.

This is not a new question. I have heard this going back more than 20 years.

There was a time when Adobe offered Illustrator and Photoshop for Linux. When we were doing work for NBC News, it was on their weather content computers, which were Linux based. Janet & I demonstrated a few things to the people who created weather graphics. But, everyone was used to their Macs and Windows machines so it got no use.

I have a feeling that Adobe discovered that the investment they had to make in the Windows and Mac platforms had to be their focus because the Linux platform was not well received.

If anyone has had any success in getting a Windows version of Adobe apps to run in Linux, I have not heard of it working. That's not to say that it cannot be done, Janet & I have just never heard of any success stories.

We have talked to some very smart IT people who do high level security for government and monster media firms and have shared some thoughts on how something like this could be done, including running macOS on Linux. But, it's all "hackathon" kind of things and nothing anyone would use in a production environment.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 3 was running under Irix, sgi’s Unix.

Regards, Abambo
Hard- and Software Engineer and Photographer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that Photoshop 3, or Photoshop CS3?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

XD will not run on Linux

I would keep Windows 10 and run Linux on a seperate boot hdd... if you don't know anything about systems then the safe option is to remove the Windows drive from the system and replace it with a cheap hdd to install your Linux then reswap | connect the Windows as needed

p.s, a V-anything will not perform the same as physically booted software so is pointless for development testing anyway... the same as you don't know how a website will look until you put it on the web, local machine testing is only a 50% true outcome mate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would an option not be to setup a Linux VM under a top-level Windows install? Pretty sure I've read that's possible with HyperV...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes its possible to run Linux (or whatever else) inside Hyper-v but Hyper-v does not access the G-card and so is not a true development test if the grapthics are needed + swapping in a new hdd is the simple option for people new to computers... you can't bugger up your Windows system if it is sitting in a desk away from the computer

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have a few options:

• you can run a Virtual Windows on your Linux
  • install WINE on Linux, which allows you to run some Adobe software

WineHQ - Wine Application Database

Here's current support for Illustrator:

WineHQ - Adobe Illustrator

Marek Mularczyk
Adobe Certified Expert and Instructor

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines