• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to share info in forums

Mentor ,
Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to me that older people who started using computers a long time ago (desktops and then laptops) sometimes have a better understanding of some of the 'functions' available to share info with others via screen shots and where info is located about system specs and stuff like that.

I feel kinda bad for new people who can't find that info as readily as we older people can. Even win 10 makes it a little more difficult than earlier O.S. to find basic info about their computers.

In a way, things are getting 'dummied down' to make things easier for users, but along the way it has also made it harder to get specific info.

With the CC stuff I am not sure how many users opt in to get stuff like photoshop AND premiere pro, and other apps. ( used to be called applications or 'programs' ).

So, with PC clones, for example, using the "Prt Sc." (print screen) key is an age old method of putting full screen into clipboard, but a lot of younger people don't know that. Then if you go to photoshop and make a new file with default settings and white background and use PASTE function ( Control V ) it puts the screen into the frame and you can crop it down and post the picture in forums. It's amazing how few people know this.

And what a pain in neck it would be to actually have to WRITE down stuff and then post THAT ( instead of a screen shot ).

There is an area in my laptop and desktop ( pc clones) where I can see 'system specs' and do a screen shot. Imagine being asked to provide that info without knowing you can just do a screen shot. Wow, what a pain in neck.

I think some of the problems in forums is that people just plain don't know how to do things easily and quickly and therefore being asked questions about their computer, source files, export settings, etc. just seems like a TON of hard work to them.  Naturally this would be a pain in neck and frustrating.

I wonder if a little you tube sort of 'demonstration' would help ??  Like, there are so many smart and savvy people here who know how to do videos of their computer screens while demonstrating stuff... ( I don't know how to do that ) why not do something that demonstrates how to get computer specs ( for win 10 which is prominent ), use 'prnt scrn ' button, make psd, post on adobe, etc. ..  Plus use mediainfo to get source info on ciips, and do the same (post on adobe via screen shot )…

Would be kinda cool to have that around as a reference.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess there's some sensitive info about computer that should NOT be shared..so that would have to be pointed out...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For most of what I do, a static screenshot or 2 or 3 are sufficient. 

1. Open an app.  Hit Print screen button to put it into your clipboard.

Open Photoshop.

1. Hit File > New (it should pick up the correct canvas size based on what was just captured in clipboard).
  2. Ctrl+V to paste.
  3. Crop and blur out sensitive info.
  4. Add arrows or text tips.
  5. Flatten image.
  6. Go to Image > Image Size and reduce to something manageable (say 600px).
  7. Ctrl+A to select all.
  8. Ctrl+C to copy to clipboard.

Come back to forum reply.

1. Add some text, hit Enter key.
  2. Ctrl+V to paste image.
  3. Repeat as needed.
Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rodneyb56060189  wrote

( I don't know how to do that ) why not do something that demonstrates how to get computer specs ( for win 10 which is prominent ), use 'prnt scrn ' button, make psd, post on adobe, etc. ..  Plus use mediainfo to get source info on ciips, and do the same (post on adobe via screen shot )…

i like CPU-Z for that job... its free and works on just about any system

uh81mr-6.png xnu4p0-6.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's even simpler if you're posting a screen shot to these forums. Just hit the prt sc key, then ctrl-v to paste the image into the forum. No need to save the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's true that you don't need to save images first but I always edit in PS to remove sensitive & unrelated info.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2018 Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Chuck+Uebele  wrote

It's even simpler if you're posting a screen shot to these forums. Just hit the prt sc key, then ctrl-v to paste the image into the forum. No need to save the image.

And if you use Greenshot to get the screen shot, it is easy to perform a number of functions to the screen shot before pasting back to the forum.  There was a time when I used  to paste into Photoshop, edit, save, and load  into a forum thread  using the image upload widget.  Pasting directly via Greenshot has been a massive time saver over the years, and my drive does not get clogged with screen shots that I'll never need again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rodneyb56060189  wrote

I think some of the problems in forums is that people just plain don't know how to do things easily and quickly...

Don't you love it when they use their phone's camera to take a picture of their computer screen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or WORSE, They go to take a picture of the computer screen which the PHONE IS HOOKED UP TO, and just as they are about to shoot the phone rings and crashes PPro and then they post mssg about how that never happened before and what's wrong with Adobe ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hehe, Nancy, I'm still chuckling over your pic sample...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 30, 2018 Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rodneyb56060189  wrote

hehe, Nancy, I'm still chuckling over your pic sample...

LOLZ that is funny. It reminds me of when I was in college learning Photoshop and i saw one of my fellow students holding a physical ruler up to their screen....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines