• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to take a "Leap of Faith" pursuing a career as a freelancer?

Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2016 Jul 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

Just had this on my mind for a while now. I guess there is no right way to take a leap of faith while pursuing a dream job. But for me going to college, working a full time job, all while trying to have a social life makes learning the Adobe products and taking on different tasks to get my name out seem nearly impossible. I guess I am just day dreaming, and was wondering if anyone else want's to day dream and pitch me idea's on there thoughts on this topic. Or any success stories with some tips would be cool.

Thank you,

Kevin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Aug 04, 2016 Aug 04, 2016

Hi - I have a few comments based on one of my best buddies, and how she took the leap successfully. First, like Nancy, she started pulling freelance jobs while working full time. Second, she got a big repeat client! It's all well and good to get a branding job, a catalog design, a web design, but then when that project is over, you don't know if or when you'll work for that client again. She got a publication that runs 4x a year – guaranteed repeat work. That was the point where she "quit her da

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I kept my full-time job and did freelance work in my spare time.   When the Freelance workload became more than I could handle in my spare time, I took the plunge.  But make sure you have sufficient money saved to see you through the slow months.  As you will find out, Freelance work often comes in floods & droughts.  So be prepared for both ends of the spectrum.

Nancy O.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nancy!

As a freelancer, did you build a website and advertise it with your portfolio on there? I guess what I'm trying to say is how did you get your name out there to be discovered by the people who is in need of your skill sets?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have had a web site of my own for several years.

I did many small projects for little pay to build a portfolio.

Then I got more projects by word of mouth from happy clients.

And then some more....

Networking with local organizations helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2016 Aug 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I have a few comments based on one of my best buddies, and how she took the leap successfully. First, like Nancy, she started pulling freelance jobs while working full time. Second, she got a big repeat client! It's all well and good to get a branding job, a catalog design, a web design, but then when that project is over, you don't know if or when you'll work for that client again. She got a publication that runs 4x a year – guaranteed repeat work. That was the point where she "quit her day job". As far as getting new work, she told me she literally NEVER got a job from any type of self-marketing she did. It was ALL word of mouth. And last, she constantly attends classes, forums and graphics seminars at a well known local source for job training, to the point that she knows the staff there well and they've referred clients to her. Now I'm going to point out, that while her hours and lifestyle are super flexible, she works ALL the time. Never off duty. Working from the hotel room on vacation. Getting in a little work on Christmas morning. etc! So think carefully about your future life! You have to be good time manager and advocate on your own behalf for time off! Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point!

And there's no paid sick leave, vacation, holidays or health care benefits. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your help guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines