• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I am new to art programs need a 2D tool to add a border to a nonstandard object. I also need to create and modify bitmaps

New Here ,
Mar 22, 2019 Mar 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am really new to art programs.   I typically only use paint.   I am trying to modify a leather pattern to use a laser cutter to draw images on leather.   I would like to add a border or an image to this pattern.   Preferably a Celtic design but open to other options.    I am hoping photoshop can do all this.  If not what do I need?  

Regards

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 22, 2019 Mar 22, 2019

Drawing line illustrations, whether images or borders,is best done in Adobe Illiustrator. It produces a crisp vector result that can be changed in size without affecting the quality of the art. If, on the other hand, you want to create a toned image, Photoshop would be best.

One more thing: If you are able to create the illusion of tones by using a parallel line or dot pattern in your illustration (the way it was done before halftones were invented)  then stick with Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2019 Mar 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drawing line illustrations, whether images or borders,is best done in Adobe Illiustrator. It produces a crisp vector result that can be changed in size without affecting the quality of the art. If, on the other hand, you want to create a toned image, Photoshop would be best.

One more thing: If you are able to create the illusion of tones by using a parallel line or dot pattern in your illustration (the way it was done before halftones were invented)  then stick with Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2019 Apr 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also, check the specifications on the laser cutter. The software it uses will likely have required settings to differentiate between cutting and etching. The one I use requires different stroke widths for cutting and for etching. Some require setting the strokes to different colors like red and blue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines