• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I found an old copy of ALDUS PAGEMAKER in a sealed box and wondered if it was good for anything.

May 21, 2017 May 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this old copy of ALDUS PAGEMAKER and wondered if it was good for anything.

NIB Aldus Page Maker version 3.0 May 1988 Vintage in sealed Box | eBay

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe as a doorstop unless you have Windows 2 or Mac OS9

Aldus Pagemaker 3 for Macintosh was shipped in April 1988.[12] PageMaker 3.0 for the PC was shipped in May 1988[13] and required Windows 2.0,[14] which was bundled as a run-time version.[15] Version 3.01 was available for OS/2 and took extensive advantage of multithreading for improved user responsiveness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gener7  wrote

Maybe as a doorstop

I was gonna say the same thing .

Or perhaps you could re-purpose the cardboard box, manual and floppy disk into craft projects. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vintage computer software does not hold the value of old comic books and TV themed 1960s tin lunchboxes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a Green Hornet & Kato lunchbox.  Gosh, I wish I knew where that thing went.

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd see them in the dime stores, but I went to schools that had cafeterias. If I had any idea of what they would be worth, I would have bought several and put them in cryogenic storage.

Now I'm finishing up my vacation in my hometown and all the schools I attended are gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe as a doorstop unless you have Windows 2 or Mac OS9

Mac OS 6 at most.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be a nice piece in a museum of softwares.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vintage Software and Manuals do have some value, however, storage and space are always a consideration.

I do have a couple OS 9 machines that I keep around.

These can be rented out as props in a historical movie, however, making that connection is usually a pipe-dream, at best. Also, there are computer history museums and groups. The plus there is that if they're 501(c) 3, you can make a tax deductible donation for the "collectable" valuation. Much better than donating to thrift stores.

Best thing to do is have your throwaway eMail address hooked up to your personal website with pictures and contact ability. Pack it away nicely inside another box, label, log it and post it. Find a nice place to store it. Someday you may get a surprising eMail.

I donated a vintage TV to a computer gaming museum a few back, analog Toshiba big screen, and it was food for a $2500 deduction. My son gave it to me because he thought it was junk…

-RAW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2017 May 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My guess is that the original poster of this question on Quora took my advice and ditched the box...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines