• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

If a client comes to me wanting a logo for cheap ...

Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2016 Jul 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently started freelancing in logo design & brand identity. I suspect my clients so far are ones with small budgets - a social worker, a small mosque, a local humanist group and a guy who wants a logo for his website and t-shirts. It seems to me that one way I can make money in my situation is to try something like this: If a client comes to me wanting a logo for cheap, then I tell them "I will design a logo for you that I can also sell (probably with modifications or other elements) on cafepress.com unless you want to pay extra for you to have exclusive rights to that logo". I'd love to hear your feedback.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<If a client comes to me wanting a logo for cheap, then I tell them "I will design a logo for you that I can also sell (probably with modifications or other elements) on cafepress.com >

Not. 

Logos should be very specific to that one client.  If they can't afford to pay what you think you're worth, don't take the project.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not a wise move actually ...

If you tell them they can get a logo at Cafepress or similar site that you plan to sell it on they can just wait until you have it on there and buy it for next to nothing or even worse - go there before even getting you to do any work and buying one there.

Don't under sell yourself. That was a huge mistake I made when I started. You end up doing a lot of work for next to nothing and it's very hard to raise your rates after doing that. Quote what you are worth. Why do a lot of work just to break even?

Quote what you are worth and do less jobs for the same amount of income as many jobs for cheap.

There is always the old saying - "You can have your logo cheap, fast or good. Pick two"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines