• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it just me or is the Adobe ecosystem disjointed?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2017 Jan 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't help but feel when moving from app to app within the creative cloud sphere to accomplish specific tasks, that the workflow feels terribly disjointed. Look at the default tool layout between Photoshop and Illustrator, for instance. Similarly functioning tools are in different areas in different apps. I can't help but feel that learning each program is intrinsically difficult because of this.

Even the undo - redo / step forward step backward keyboard shortcut (on windows, anyways) is different. Ctrl + Shift + Z vs Ctrl + Alt + Z, etc.

I've been using Illustrator and Photoshop extensively, but have recently moved into Premiere and After Effects for additional work which is where I started to notice it more. The UI especially in Premiere seems less intuitive than Reflow when it comes to placing keys on frames, for instance. There exists a razor tool in Premiere, but not in After Effects.

The list goes on but I don't want to bore you, I am just hoping that they have some plans to address this, and make handling and manipulating objects the same across all their brands.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 14, 2017 Jan 14, 2017

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of the applications you mentioned are created and maintained by individual engineering teams at Adobe. This, along with the fact that long time users of each individual application like the way that their application works, makes standardizing a difficult request. That's not to say you shouldn't ask for consistency using John's links. There would be a long term benefit to standardizing, even if there is a loud and unhappy short term uproar.

In the meantime, the inconsistencies keep me on my toes as I move from InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator and back while working on laying out a publication, or when I teach all three apps in a single class. I choose to think of this as satisfying the recommendation to keep our brains engaged as we age, and I don't feel like I need to complete a Soduku on those days!

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/05/11/for-agings-effects-more-solutions-than-proof-of-success/?_r...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to what was said above, each software used to come out as a stand alone product. When Creative Suite came out, Adobe began to bundle the software in several different configurations. They also began to standardize shortcuts. Suddenly Cmd +1 in Photoshop was a zoom shortcut to match the rest of the Suite instead of a shortcut to the Red Channel, and Photoshop users got angry. "V" became the shortcut for the Selection tool in Illustrator because it was similar to the Move tool in Photoshop. (Where's the V in Selection?!?) Time went on, and long time users want to cling to their work flow, while new users want them all to work the same way across the applications. I don't know if it helps to know some of the history (and I don't use Premiere or After Effects).

You can change some things about the interface to customize it, such as keyboard shortcuts, menus, panel displays. This, again, varies with the software.

I agree that standardizing Step Forward should be a no-brainer for Adobe! What software uses Ctrl + Shift + Z for Step Backward? And does that software let you edit your keyboard shortcuts? I don't think I could go back and forth on that one in two separate programs!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the replies guys. I only point this out not to rip on Adobe (I think they make some fantastic stuff) but sometimes the workflow gets frustrating to where I ponder if I should just move on, and I shouldn't feel that way so I thought I'd let adobe know.

I'll try some of the recommendations mentioned here. Testament to good UI design is how fast I can figure something out, and yesterday's video editing session left me with a headache.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are users, and if you see an MCV or ACP badge, we have been tagged as having experience and knowledge with the program (although others may as well). John's answer is the correct one for you if you want Adobe to know—fill out the Wish List / Bug Report form. They read those, but they don't always check this forum.

(If you just want to rant, we will listen, because we are probably feeling the same pains and frustrations!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your advice everyone, I will take it into consideration. I will spend more time customizing my shortcut keys to start. I marked John's answer as correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its worth getting to know how to use your CC libraries if you want to use more than one Adobe product... example; the option to make a graphic in illistrator then drop that into a button in Muse is very powerful workflow helper

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 16, 2017 Jan 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

od-creative wrote:

There exists a razor tool in Premiere, but not in After Effects.

You can't have a razor tool in After Effects because you can't have two different things on the same layer. AE works in layers, not tracks. They are two very different pieces of software with two very different tasks to do and two very different ways of working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2017 Jan 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that, my main idea is that Slice tool is still a slice tool weather or not it creates an item on the same lane or automatically moves the slice to a new lane. Tasks similar in nature should follow an icon standards. You are still making a cut either way. But thanks for the reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 27, 2017 Jan 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. And sure, letting Adobe know is a good step. I did so before with an idea of using a separate styles file that can be used across Adobe programs. The only thing is, I do not know what happens with these ideas. A simple, 'we've received your request and keep you posted' would be nice…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wmodist wrote:

A simple, 'we've received your request and keep you posted' would be nice…

The Adobe engineers, we were told by a member of staff (I don't recall who), do not have the time to respond to the huge volume requests that are submitted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

yes, but how many good ones? 😉

being a loyal client you do an effort, you care about adobe products, it's not to nag… Waze f.e. has a simple points merit system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines