Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mojave (Mohave): not OSX

Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2019 Jan 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mojave is more than the newest OSX.

For those who live outside of the United States, the Mojave Desert in Southern California and parts of Utah, Nevada, and Arizona occupies 47,877 sq mi (124,000 km).

Mojave Desert - Wikipedia

https://www.mdlt.org/about/

The desert is named after the Mojave (Mohave) tribe of native American Indians:

Mojave tribe: Location, Clothes, Food, Lifestyle, History and famous Chiefs***

The Mojave River is unique because it flows inland instead of toward the ocean:

Mojave River

Here is a map from the National Park Service:

https://www.nps.gov/moja/planyourvisit/upload/MOJAmap1.pdf

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2019 Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

I was sure I'd driven through the Mojave on one of my trips, but looking at its location, it doesn't quite match any of my routes. 

Mojave covers a wide swath.  You no doubt touched parts of it.

http://biomemojavedesert.weebly.com/uploads/2/8/1/2/28125753/6145739_orig.png

And the Sonora desert is just below it.

https://thesykescompany.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/The-Sykes-Co-Sonoran-Desert-Region-Map.jpg

America is an amazing country for sure.  Not as green and wet as NZ, but still very beautiful, and incredibly diverse. 

You won't see much green & wet in deserts  but  the pacific northwest is home to the biggest temperate rain forest on the planet. 

Pacific temperate rainforests (WWF ecoregion) - Wikipedia

And last year my relatives in New Jersey endured 64 inches of wet stuff, breaking records that date back to 1895

https://www.northjersey.com/story/weather/2019/01/02/2018-wettest-record-new-jersey-climate-change-g...

When it rains, it pours.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Nancy+OShea  wrote

And last year my relatives in New Jersey endured 64 inches of wet stuff, breaking records that date back to 1895

When it rains, it pours.

Same here, Nancy!

2018 was the wettest on record in the VA/MD/DC area. There were 24 days with at least 1" of rain, which is also a new record.

Washington National Airport     66.28"

Dulles International Airport       66.74"

Baltimore Washington Airport   71.82"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a tremendous amount of rain, jane-e.  I'm kind of jealous as we brace for next year's mandatory California water limit of 55 gallons / person / day.  The national average consumption is 75 gal / day.  

We just got a new smart dishwasher that's supposed to sense when dishes are clean and use less water.   I'm afraid the verdict is still out on that one.  It may use less water but the cycle is slower than a crockpot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2019 Feb 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imagine the California water situation is going to be ongoing indefinitely.  55 gallons would sound a lot if you had to drink it, but when it comes to showers, and washing your clothes and flushing your toilet,  and all the other things we use water for, it's going to be quite a problem.  We are consented to 15 cubic metres a day, which is just short of 4000 gallons, but it just comes out of the ground with no checks, so I have no idea what we actually use.

We had to have a new well drilled in 2013.  The well draws water from 15 metres into the aquifer but the drill hit water at two metres.  They ran this pump for a good hour to clear the mud etc. from the drilling operation.  That's Mr John Butt, who has drilled most of the wells in Marlborough.

Bored Panda has a series of pictures showing the effects of the Polar Vortex, and some of them are extreme.

50 Photos That Show Just How Insanely Cold It Is In America Right Now | Bored Panda

I keep thinking about Noel's move from Florida to Minnesota.  The timing was terrible.

As if the cold was not bad enough, there's some sort of Invasion of the Body Snatchers thing going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Downtown Chicago courtesy of: Amazing images of Chicago and Lake Michigan Polar Vortex from above - Chicago Tribune

That's Lake Michigan to the right.

03-chicago-downtown-v2-860.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's funny how this  Mojave thread has morphed into Chilly.

Anyway, it's raining buckets here.  Flash flood warnings are in effect for everyone near the burn areas.

California's 4 seasons:

• Flood
  • Mud
  • Drought
  • Fire

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, raining a lot here. I was headed to Los Angeles today, but we got to Santa Barbara and the 101 was closed. No way around. We went home.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2019 Feb 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was checking out the weather for California

Second Northwest Winter Storm Shuts Roads and Schools From California to Washington | The Weather Ch...

And came across this bit of video.  Too cool not to share.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

And came across this bit of video.

Trever, that’s very cool! Last week we were in single digits and schools were closed for ice and snow. Today it was 60°F and all I needed was a sweater. The rest of the week looks the about same.

And the groundhog didn’t see his shadow, so we are in for an early spring, if you believe in rodents and their ability to predict the weather.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I firmly believe in rodents but not in their predictions .

If anyone is interested in owning their own little piece of Mojave,  we're selling my mother's desert property -- a small house on 2.5 acre parcel, approx 20 miles from Big Bear Lake.  Lots of western themed out-buildings for storage, a working water well and solar panels connected to the grid.   Priced to sell.

This photo of the property was taken a few days ago but the snow level has dropped significantly since them.  I expect the ground to be covered in snow by morning.

Contact me if you want more details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

Gene, so were you in the CIA at the time?  I don't really want to know if it means you have to kill me anyone else reading this thread,  but I think (from the books I read) that Edwards is an Air Force base. 

Edwards is a regular military installation, one that I stopped at during my time in the military. No CIA dark glasses needed. Chuck's great grandparents lived on the Muroc dry lake bed, now a runway for many of the test craft.

Now, further east in the Mojave is a highly classified remote detachment of Edwards AFB called "Area 51" That's the one no one gets into without clearance and is conspiracy fodder for the internet and late night radio. That's Groom Lake in the picture.  It's well secured with sensors and patrols. "Off Limits" means "Off Limits."

They do have a "lethal force" force policy for those dopey enough to try getting in, but likely they will get handed over to the local sheriff.

Screen Shot 2019-02-02 at 11.57.26 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2019 Jan 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chuck, if the lake was dry, what was their water source?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a comment about some of the other write ups that I did. I didn't edit letters to make them PC, so there are some racial comments in some, particularly from my great-granduncle Abe Bonnifield, who was born without legs and fought for the South in the Civil War.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines