• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MS Office 365 New Dictate Feature

Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2018 Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This came with an Office update today, and it is pretty cool.  I can finally type faster than my wife.   Except it is not so much typing as talking.

I've only had a brief play with it, and it is doing a remarkable job of understanding my southern English accent.  It will obviously have no chance with Dave's Geordie accent, or Terri's Norfolk twang.  Ged's computer would catch fire trying to keep up him, so it would, and Jane's computer would fall asleep listening to her silky smooth Washington tones (if they even do Office for Macs).

The text lags my spoken word to the extent that I have to stop and let it catch up, and you have to manually delete typos and try again.  It responds to Full Stop and Comma but I have not manage to make it respond to any other punctuation.  Hey, it does New Paragraph as well.  Actually it initially types it and then works it out and responds accordingly.

Right, how long till Jive can do this? 

BTW  This update is being put out over several days.  I had to sign up for the Office Insider program to get it today, so I'll now be plagued with incessant blooming emails.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For people that don't have Office 365 there's this free addon

Dictate-Speech Recognition for Microsoft Office

My Office 2010 now has Dictation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me, accent ?? I don't know what you mean Trevor

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me talk with a country bumpkin accent? I'll have you know I went to the very best Swiss Finishing school -it was approved

Anyone who can't see this feature might like to know it is subject to a slow roll out by Microsoft

Dictate with your voice in Office - Office Support

I think those part of the Office Insider program are getting it first

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

terris86415680  wrote

Me talk with a country bumpkin accent? I'll have you know I went to the very best Swiss Finishing school -it was approved

I'd think of you as a scary St Trinians kind of a girl. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trevor.Dennis​,

https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/20/microsofts-dictate-uses-cortanas-speech-recognition-to-enable-dict...

It appears to also require Windows 8.

I do run Windows and Office 365 on my Mac, but I haven't had time to put it on the one I bought in January. When I get to it, it will have Windows 10. My old Mac has Windows 7.

Maybe this will motivate me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

I can finally type faster than my wife.   Except it is not so much typing as talking.

wait... you can talk more than your wife?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines