Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

out of box

Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2017 May 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Am trying to understand what is the out of the box means in the Analytical world. Any information will be well appreciated. Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi duderajab,

"Out of box" usually refers to the condition at the moment a customer begins her experience with a product. The experience of first contact of the customer with the product, often called "out of box experience," or "OOBE," is an area that is closely studied as an opportunity to make a positive first impression on the customer. This experience should be smooth, without unexpected issues, and ideally should delight the customer.

Analytically speaking, products are often subject to quality assurance measures prior to delivery to the end customer. Various inspections and audits may be performed, but often, at the end of the process, as product is fully prepared and ready for delivery to the customer a percentage of the product may be recalled and audited. This is referred to as "out of box audit," or "OBA," and provides the auditors a chance to simulate the customer experience as a means of process control.

OBA could mean something as simple as Amazon fulfillment centers pulling 1% of the packed boxes off the loading dock, sending them to an audit station, opening the boxes, and checking the contents for accuracy and damage. It could be as complex as a computer company like HP pulling some % of packaged computers back into their process and running a complete boot up and test process to ensure the computers are fully functional. Or it could be something as abstract as a software company like Microsoft or Adobe having test users download and install their products on fresh new computers to ensure the installation process works.

I hope this this helps to answer your question.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey Mike. So how does Out of Box fits into a page setup for tagging??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree with Michael but wish to add that this also can mean (for me) expressing one's view that goes beyond the normal or what one would expect...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another phrase but which has a different connotation is "thinking outside the box."   Being able to think creatively or abstractly in ways that other people might not consider.

Albert Einstein's theory of relativity is a good example of "thinking outside the box."

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree about "outside the box" in the creative sense, but when the OP asked about analytics, it made me think of audits, percentages, acceptable quality levels, etc.

It's the world I live in, so that was first on my mind

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

English is a difficult language especially for non-native speakers. 

"Out of box" makes me think of new software or computer that just came from the factory.  The default settings, similar to "off the shelf."

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess that you have to think out of the box in order to answer this question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 21, 2017 May 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of the box, for me simply meens 'as shipped', no added extras after purchase, such as extensions or after sale optional extras.

Thinking outside the box, i would say means, 'not being set in conventional thought', and 'allowing oneself to look at a problem or subject matter, with a different perspective'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Folks. Thank you All for spending your valuable time in replying the query. Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines