• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something we all can relate to part 2

Community Expert ,
Sep 24, 2019 Sep 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new forum needs a little bit of humor to release the tension of the changeover, so I've started part 2 of the old thread so that we don't have to keep scrollong to the end of the old thread.

If it gets too long before the "go to the latest reply" issue is resolved, I can lock this thread and link to a part 3 thread.

What do you think?

what customer said.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 427 Replies 427
Community Expert ,
Sep 24, 2019 Sep 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About a million years ago (in computer clock tick time) someone where I worked had an early IBM computer with two 5.25 floppy drives... this was before hard drives, so the program was on drive A and data on drive B

He came to me (I had an Apple IIe at home, so was the work place computer expert) saying his computer had "eaten" his data floppy

After checking, and getting a flashlight to look closer, I determined that he had shoved his floppy (OMG, I can't believe I just wrote that!) into the very small space between the upper and lower drives

Once I got needle nose pliers to grasp the front edge of the floppy and pull it out, I pointed out the difference between a real receptacle and the space between the two drives

He was happy, and I filed the experience away with a shrug and a shake of my head

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 02, 2019 Oct 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A friend of mine had a similar story. 

He was teaching an intro to computers class on the same IBM PC configuration (2 floppy drives! No waiting!)

It was the first class, and he told the students to remove the 5.25" disk from the sleeve and insert it into the drive. All but one student had no problems with this, so he went over to see why the student kept complaining that the disk wouldn't go into the drive.

It turned out that when he told them to take the disk out of the sleeve, the student had literally removed the plastic protective jacket covering the magnetic disk and was trying to insert this (very floppy!) round of magnetic disk into the drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hehehe 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 25, 2019 Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been teaching since 1989, and I've seen my share of crazy things in a classroom. Once of my favorites was while teaching an early InDesign class. I had 18 students, and true-to-form, the one who needed the most help sat in the far corner in the back row. I saw her pick up her mouse and shake it vigorously in the air a few times. Thinking the the trackball under the mouse was dirty (this pre-dated optical mice), I made my way over to her while continuing to talk. When I finally arrived, she was again shaking her mouse in the air. Looking at her screen, I realized that she had inadvertently loaded the InDesign cursor by clicking the out port and was trying to physically shake it off. I think of her every single time I teach an Intro to InDesign class. 

Screen Shot 2019-09-25 at 8.15.34 AM.png

I'll add that I also thought about her when I got my first iPad shuffle. You could shake it in the air to randomize the playlist. Maybe she was just way ahead of her time.

~Barb

Tag: Feature Request 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 25, 2019 Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This reminds me of the time (mid-80s) my employers had just purchased one Mac for the department to share, and we taking turns working through the very comprehensive FreeHand tutorial that came with the program. At the point where is said "Draw a 2-inch square", I saw my boss holding a ruler up to the monitor while dragging out the shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 26, 2019 Sep 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

July 12, 2012.

I was giving a course on InDesign in one of the top 10 floors of one of the highest skyscrapers in La Défense, Paris (France), facing my two trainees and a large bay window facing west.

At the end of the morning, looking up, I saw something unusual behind the bay window: a huge four-engine plane coming straight at us. Soon joined by two jet fighters, then two more, then two more...

I thought my last hour was coming.

The trainees later told me that I was pale and liquefied along the wall behind me, and that's when they turned around and laughed: "Don't worry, they'll go over it, it's the same every year it's the Air Force that rehearses for the July 14th parade." (Day of the French national holiday)

It was on that day that I learned that the July 14 parade in Paris always came from the west and left from the east and south.

As a result, I took an exceptional 15-minute break.

😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 01, 2019 Oct 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a completely different subject...

Pounce.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 11, 2019 Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Variation on a theme:

clipboard_image_0.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2019 Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh thanks for resuscitating the thread, Peru Bob. Now my favorite of the day:

Vuk0w.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2019 Oct 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dog.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2019 Oct 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "Unwelcome Mat?" credit: twitter.com/RaminNasibov/status/1176496008924160000  Great designer's blog.

EFPA4qjWsAEqrVG.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2019 Oct 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sign4.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2019 Nov 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

photos-escalated-quickly-32 (1).jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2019 Nov 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claude Shannon (1916-2001) Professor in Communications, Science and Mathematics MIT, was responsible for coining the term "bit" as in 0 or 1, and still used in all computing- eg. bits per second.

Now the unusual 'bit'- He created his "ultimate machine"- A small wooden box with a single switch on the outside. Flick the switch and an ominous buzzing starts inside. The lid lifts and a hand reaches out, turns off the switch, and returns to the box. The lid snaps shut and the noise ceases.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2019 Nov 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't the "hand in a box" go on to star in the Addams Family TV show?

Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 3.02.06 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you suppose they sell these in bulk?

Take This.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In theory, this shouldn't be a big problem. The current is lazy and goes the way of the lowest resistance. And gold has a very high conductance, better than copper. I would like to have golden wires in my house… :-D. And then you will blow the fuses… faster you can plug.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ziggy - Edited for short attention spans.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I won't exactly say short attention span, but when we watch TV together my wife likes to lay sideways on the couch so she can put her feet in my lap for some rubbing... and I can't count how many times she has fallen asleep and missed the end of the movie or TV show

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My wife loves to read in bed. I always find her with the book held up and eyes shut fast-asleep.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anybody need a ride?

Motor-what.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Boss Hoss picture while I was at Sturgis... not mine, I was on a Harley

100_0100.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I arrived at a restaurant early and the manager asked if I'd mind waiting.
I said I wouldn't and he replied, "Good, take these drinks over to table seven."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines