• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The Tradition of the Soldier-Artist in a Digital Imaging Environment

Advocate ,
Feb 03, 2018 Feb 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does a photograph tell the whole story? Is the visual story enhanced when a photo becomes the reference source for an illustration?

We are used to the painting tool which Photoshop brings to the table. A photograph becomes a clone source.

Here’s an interesting news feature on how a soldier-artist carries on a military tradition of capturing the story of defense events in traditional media. Yet, he often starts with a digital photographic reference.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/multimedia/Army-Artist-Captures-Humanity-Even-In-War-Zones_Washington-...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, Brian,

Thank you for sharing this fascinating story about Sgt. Munoz, and his art of combat, capturing soldiers in action. He is a very talented artist. Yes, since he captures a digital photo to use as a reference, I wonder if he displays it on a lap top as he draws, or if he prints his references to look at?

For some illustration and fine art works, I paint with various traditional media, for others, I use a Wacom tablet and digital brushes in Photoshop. For both situations, I display my references around to look at and refer to prints of the references and occasionally display them on a monitor.

In answer to your question: In my opinion, a well composed photograph can tell the whole story. But with certain subjects, a digital illustration can convey more powerful emotion, as a gifted artist communicates their feelings as they paint or create a collage illustration that tells a story.

Thank you again for sharing.

Happy creating,

Cher

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines