• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

then/than branched from Select more then one element for mask?

LEGEND ,
Sep 08, 2018 Sep 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you use 'then' instead of 'than' word. I noticed in chats with people they do it constantly, so not just single time by mistake but each time there is need to use 'than' word. However I don't speak english well that little change sounds terrible. Is there something about this language I don't know I should use 'then' instad of 'than' like others?

I never noticed anyone says 'Thenk You' but always 'Thank You'. It's little different as there's not 'thenk' word; still it's similar.

What is really wired, Google Translator although distinguishes single use of 'then' and 'than', if 'then' is used in sentence it translates it like that was correct 'than'. Even machine like human got the same tendency or in some contries that's good?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 08, 2018 Sep 08, 2018

This is OT, but here is your answer: Then vs. Than: What’s the Difference? - Writing Explained

However, a lot of (non native?) writers are using then/than often incorrectly, me included (sic!).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is OT, but here is your answer: Then vs. Than: What’s the Difference? - Writing Explained

However, a lot of (non native?) writers are using then/than often incorrectly, me included (sic!).

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read a little that article but it is ridiculous to explain people difference between these wrods.

I wonder if people also say to others hey gays instead of hey guys, and it's stil acceptable?

I also noticed Ps scripting language is not better. There are many keywords Ps use interchangeably and still everything is working. For ex. 'green' can be used in functions instead of 'green' and vece versa. Now I don't care about that, but 'then' instaed of 'than' irritates me btw I noticed that rather native writers do it more often 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kukurykus  wrote

I read a little that article but it is ridiculous to explain people difference between these wrods.

Don‘t tell that an English teacher.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two things at work here. First, a lot of people are dyslectic, to all kinds of degrees. I suspect we all have a little bit of it. What happens then is you misspell words that are similar-sounding. Happens to all of us. Effect, affect.

The other thing is language specific. Some concepts are clearly separated in one language, but treated the same in another. That can be tricky. Me, for instance - I have no end of trouble with singular vs. plural forms. It's important in English, but in Norwegian we don't have that distinction. We don't is the same as he doesn't. And is "Adobe" singular or plural? Adobe has not, or Adobe have not? I can never figure that out.

I bet this is as off-topic as we'll ever get this year

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/D+Fosse  wrote

We don't is the same as he doesn't. And is "Adobe" singular or plural? Adobe has not, or Adobe have not? I can never figure that out.

Adobe is both singular and plural or more correct it can be depending on the context

lots of words in English are both singular and plural with "you" being the most common example;

you can say to a group of ten guys "you goto the front of the class" or you can say to one student "you goto the front of the class" and most people would add all i.e, "you all goto the front of the class" when they want to be clear but the 'all' isn't needed to still be correct

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ussnorway  wrote

Adobe is both singular and plural or more correct it can be depending on the context

So can I assume singular if it refers to the corporation, and plural if it refers to the people inside? OK, I'll try that for a while and see how it goes.

OTOH, "you" vs. "you all" is a distinction we do have in Norwegian, but not in English.

Don't knock Kukurykus. I think he's just genuinely curious and wants to know, and these are all valid questions for us non-native English speakers. But I think the "then/than" pair isn't all that significant, they are just very frequently used words so they turn up often. Another example is effect vs. affect. Nothing more than a simple misspelling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ime then | than is because people use computer spell checkers and both words pass such a test because computers are morions... its amazing to me that people are trying to let cars | busses drive themselves

some words like 'evangelist' mean different things in different countries (here in Australia its a church leader or guest priest but in America its just an expert... not always religious) but effect and affect are both correct in some senarios so its not a good example

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 09, 2018 Sep 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice to see another Norvegian Ussnorway beside D Fosse on this forum. I always loved your country and your language though I don't understand anything. You got amazing landscape and legends. I like also specific mentality of scandinavians. That's somehow close to me. Always when I watched winter sports I was happy your team is winning You have also most powerful music in the world (for me); Norvegian Black Metal is my favourite kind of music, especially for origin that made it have mostly so special atmosphere. Maybe hearing your language isn't still best for me but used in songs, like in BlackMetal vocals makes me very happy beside sole music. It also looks interesting in wrting for me. Perhaps you are not funs of that music, but it made Norway very popular in the world for last 20 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D Fosse​, you are another one which english is not his main language, however I know in Norway that's common to speak this langauge as well. You were able to notice what I mean without looking like I could be mean for other person. I hope anita1390​ is going to change her mind after reading some of my later posts I did in this theard to understand how wrongly she judged that I did towards to her.

I'm not fully englsih speaking person but I hear difference how 'than' and 'then' sound. I guess in some english contry people may prounance these 2 words the same. So like for me the second letter is not only different in writting - it's also differrnt when using in spoken word. I don't know which nationalitties use that differently, if they do, but they can prounance both like 'then'.

In polish language 'than' stand for 'niż', while 'then' for 'wtedy'. It's why I said it sounds terrible when words that are different from point of my language are misspelled in english. There wasn't accusation of doing that as I have no problem it may be hard for someone to use it correctly, but feeling I have when I met that again, finally made me to get to know something more about to accept that must happen and surely at least to understand what is source of that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ussnorway  wrote

...most people would add all i.e, "you all goto the front of the class" when they want to be clear...

In Texas, they say "y'all git to the front of the class."

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And then there is "Git 'Er Done"

Which can correctly be pronounced different ways

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plSRtNUgUDg

Depending on what needs to be done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TU-li1BqZ4

Screen Shot 2018-09-11 at 1.36.20 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Off topic, and I find it hard to swallow  when the original poster is criticised for a single typing/spelling error with a post containing several spelling/typing errors

Kukurykus  wrote

I wonder if people also say to others hey gays instead of hey guys, and it's stil acceptable?

I also noticed Ps scripting language is not better. There are many keywords Ps use interchangeably and still everything is working. For ex. 'green' can be used in functions instead of 'green' and vece versa. Now I don't care about that, but 'then' instaed of 'than' irritates me btw I noticed that rather native writers do it more often 😕

I too make errors - when typing too quickly, "the" sometimes comes out as "teh".

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/davescm  wrote

I too make errors - when typing too quickly, "the" sometimes comes out as "teh"

When I type really quickly, an entire post can come out as "duh"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

loll I found I also do similar mistake. I wrote: 'What is really wired' (instead of weird).

Ps. in other post I wanted to use 'grain' word that is seen by Ps scrippting as 'green'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't criticise OP. It happened one time too many I encountered someone does it I have been eperiencing by years. I first time reacted for this, just to have reliable information from first hand, so the person that did it too and and can say why

The errors in my post are mistakes made by fact I'm writing some letters faster, but the problem I indicated was different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi davescm​,

You are English? You didn‘t understand the question. The question was more on why using then instead of than, because the nuances for non natives are quite difficult to get. I can assure that for every language, there are always such little errors to make.

In French a lot of people have difficulties to distinguish „é“ and „er“ endings, because they sound equal, but are not equal.

In German a lot of people are using „das“ when they should use „dass“ (formerly „daß“).

In Luxembourgish there is a difference that no non native speaker gets correct: when to use „si“ (she) and „hat“ (she).

Native speakers get it wrong. Why should not non native speakers get it wrong?

I‘m currently writing on my iPad (no spellchecker, the iPad is doing a bad job in a multilingual environment, especially when using unusual languages), when I‘m using my laptop, I try to use a spellchecker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Yes I am English. The OP did not comment further on the wording, but it looked no more than a typing error rather than a conscious decision to write "then" rather than "than".  We all make spelling, typing and grammatical errors at times. I have no problem with that, particularly as I make them myself, but I do appreciate the difficulty it may cause for a person for whom English is not their first language.

My point was more that a user came on to ask a genuine question about using Photoshop and the response in their thread was a discussion on their spelling/grammar. That is not the most friendly of welcomes to a user forum.

I have no problem with a separate discussion on the use of words/spelling in the Lounge

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I branched and moved to the lounge. It irritates me, when questions like this get OT to much :-).

IMHO Kukurykus​ was irritated on the use of than vs then, not that there was a typing mistake that simply nobody except may be you saw. It did not seam to be a critique of the OP. But you are wright, it is too much OT to be kept in the original stream. You could have branched it yourself I suppose...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I probably should have. The OP brought the  thread back on topic so no harm done

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, unfortunatelly anita1390 didn't answer for that question, probably ignored it Well that happens so often someone uses 'then' instead of 'than' (quite interesting not 'than' instead of 'then'!?) that probably sooner or later I'll meet someone else on this forum that 'breaks' the same rule. Then I'll have occasion to repeat my question

If that was typing error I wouldn't start post about. It's wierd from that you say it seemed you was thinking anyone could, because why to ask why someone made mistake in word?

My question was for reason, not like, hello I saw you did word mistake, that's very bad and I'm going to critcise you now for that! I wanted to know from person that supposedly was one of those many who use 'then' for 'than' is that because in some countries there is no difference about or maybe people are not aware of that difference. Simply general question on that occasion to satisfy my curiosity. There was nothing personal to her, and now, reading that post of me again I can't find where you see I am unkind for that person - the more in second part of post I explained what I mean. So beside expression of feelings to that fact I didn't say don't do that again, but desired to understand why that happens. I also wouldn't say users are so stupid to watch each word as they could take that only one way to get offended...

Possibly for me that is non-english guy it's easier to see people do such 'mistakes' in other language, but when I see that's so common I was curious perhpas that may be american diference to english language while I know there are many of them. I assume you don't notice when people use 'then' instead of 'than' so often so proabably you considered that as another misspelling. I can't explain otherwise your reaction.

Once again I wasn't unfriendly and even didn't intend to be for her, but I could say you are not friendly to me if you didn't consider what else could lead me to ask that question, but explained it your way without giving chance to let me say what's my mind. Fortunately I see now you simply didn't get my point, as maybe it's hard to see that from other point of view. That's understable. I also don't see some things others are sensitive for, but I understand normally people don't do some things with no reason, but though that's not seen when you don't know them there may be something deeper hidden behind their actions.

Nothing prevents from asking of something that is not completely unrelated. There are rules of forum, but following them so strictly I feel here now like in unfriendly place around (not everyone of course) some Adobe soldiers in their power to order the silence. We're not in library but to have some fun here as well beside looking for / giving Ps advices like robots

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree we are here to help and have fun, and no-one is ordering silence. We just need to be careful how our comments may come across (me included)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A sincere thank you to Abambo​  for supplying the answer hours ago for Kukurykus​  --- so he no longer needed to suffer through  struggle/confusion waiting for me to respond:

Screen Shot 2018-09-08 at 5.46.33 PM.png

Even so, since then, Kukurykus posted several posts totaling a couple hundred words on my single typo, while every single post from him has multiple typos.  To which I reply:

Iron E.jpg

I apologize to davescm​ for creating this issue in the first place and am thankful for his PS support -- he was the only one who could answer my question so his support today was huge. I am done with this topic  since it was answered, marked correct, and I am here to learn PS. Expect TYPOS from me in the future: If it is upsetting, while you are allowed endless typos, then please remember DO NOT READ MY POSTS. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't understand point as well I didn't write of typos so regular mistakes, but quite common occurrence of using by people 'then' when they think 'than', that doesn't happen when they use 'then' as they write then 'then'

From your answer it sounds like I had no right to ask a question when I wanted to know something? When you needed something you came and asked question and that was fine. But when someone asks you a question then you instead of give just answer act like that's unappriopriate asking that. My question was simple and had not any hidden context to make you harm.

I feel like you are offended though, is that correct? Do you feel like my question was against you, even if in other posts there was said enough that it wasn't to think so?

Many times on scripting forum I was replying to new comers even making programs for them for free what was taking much time. Now when I needed help it was taken like it deserves to be cruel? loll

Still I think you got it wrong and personally 😕 I didn't react directly to your typo like you said. That surely wasn't to show your mitake. If you read carefuly you knew it's about tendency of people to do change those 2 words. SO THAT'S NOT ABOUT YOU, AND NOT TO PAY ATTENTION TO YOU THAT YOU DID MISTAKE. It's also not that is something bad to do it that I could have fun of and not that you are not free to do it. If you say about my typos it's okey, I do it for reason of fast typing, but you apparently do it as kind of attack for that what happened only in your mind to you from my side. Nothing happened you thought that did. It was your imagination as I was saying in context of 'than / then' phenomena

That was more about why it happens and is that acceptable to use 'then' instead of 'than' (as I don't live around english-speeking people where perhpas you live, so I can't know it). I was curious isn't that mistake if so many people use it. For example in country where I live there are words that were for many decades considered as mistakes, but because many people still used them they became officially correct after years. Do you know now what I mean?

And do you think there is something wrong to ask people of things the more you do it as well? 😕

I don't have problem with your typos (as my post wasn't about them), but if you react like it was against you instead of seeing core of my message then it may be because you have problem with your typhos You are always allowed to write as many typos as you want, but also allowed to think more before trying to make from someone's words something that they don't stand for

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

anita1390  wrote

I apologize to davescm  for creating this issue in the first place and am thankful for his PS support -- he was the only one who could answer my question so his support today was huge. I am done with this topic  since it was answered, marked correct, and I am here to learn PS.

Hi Anita,

I came initially to answer your question, but saw the perfect one from Dave. There was nothing more to do for me. Anyhow, Dave and JJ are much more qualified to do that.

Now this is a discussion that goes on and your initial problem should be solved.

Happy photoshopping and enjoy our presence then and than and anyhow.

You are highly welcome to ask your next question and I‘m sure that you will get again qualified answers.

Abambo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines