• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Things as a graphics designer that annoys you?

Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2019 Feb 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

This is more of a, 'what is your annoying experience', kinda post.

So I landed a job as a junior graphics designer and still learning the ropes and always will.

Last week, one of the project managers wanted me to convert a PSD to a PDF and AI, also to convert the raster layers in the PSD to vector. It was an easy convert, since the logo was all black and all I needed to do what image trace the logo in AI, save as PDF and AI, good to go to the client.

So the client comes back to the project manager and state one of the layers isn't a vector and they screenshotted it. So I looked at it, ok it wasn't. I converted it again and made sure it was a vector. Sent it again.

But what really gets me... is that the 'creative manager' from the other company (I saw in the email) screenshotted illustrator of the un-vectored layer. Why couldn't she image trace the layer herself? She has illustrator open, a quick google search how to vector an image in illustrator would have taken her 20 mins max for someone who doesn't know. By the way, I didn't know either, until I googled the answer and did it myself.

:S

BRUH!?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3b7bfa1af837f478e0be8b9ceabac304--keep-fighting-ponies.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hasher22  wrote

Why couldn't she image trace the layer herself? She has illustrator open,

Because  that's what they pay you guys for.  Forget about logic. 

Welcome to the world of big fish, little fish .

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2019 Mar 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because that's what they pay you guys for.

Right. And I'd take that a step further and suggest that it was money wasted by your client, seeing as you only did what she could have done herself. Maybe you aren't aware of this, but automatic tracing is woefully imprecise, and you were being paid to apply a skillful solution to the problem and produce a precise trace by doing it manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 19, 2019 Mar 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am just shocked that a client tested your design... that is not common at all these days

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines