• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

To Photoshop or not :P

Enthusiast ,
Jun 26, 2017 Jun 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We all know Adobe hates us using it this way, but who else reckons John Knoll is the one that started the trend of using it as a verb?

Untitled12.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems it’s already listed as a transitive verb on Merriam-Webster’s …

Photoshop | Definition of Photoshop by Merriam-Webster

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we are stuck with the usage... it has made it to mainstream. Will & Grace used it years ago in an episode!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems a particular habit of American English, to turn a perfectly good noun into a verb. Owners of trademarks hate it because it's one step to losing it. In Britain we are not immune, as the verb "to hoover" comes from a popular brand of vacuum cleaner but is used for all of them in the way Adobe don't want to see "to Photoshop" being used.

As Calvin said, "Verbing weirds language".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love the hoovering one (Irish here btw) I didn't know hoover was a brand and not a general word until I was 15... and I had a Hoover washing machine during those years   TBF the Knoll brothers invented the software and I doubt they have a problem with it at all.

To verb or not to verb, that is the irony.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2017 Jul 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Test+Screen+Name  wrote

In Britain we are not immune, as the verb "to hoover" comes from a popular brand of vacuum cleaner but is used for all of them in the way Adobe don't want to see "to Photoshop" being used.

I always used to get a kick out of seeing the Hoover Building on the North Circular road (before they built the M25)  I believe the building is listed, as a nice example of Art Deco architecture, so they have this as a legacy along with the name.  Is the company still going?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_a8TFB8QOPKo/TAe5rj1xboI/AAAAAAAAAeE/jcp7uo5iYRs/s1600/DCP_1459.JPG

Someone mentioned having a hoover, and my immediate thought was thank goodness it was not a Hotpoint.  Being known as the source of the huge Grenfell fire can't have been good for the brand name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 01, 2017 Jul 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

can't have been good for the brand name.

'Flash' anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 02, 2017 Jul 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ussnorway  wrote

Trevor.Dennis   wrote

can't have been good for the brand name.

'Flash' anyone?

Which Flash?

giphy.gif

original.gif

tumblr_myfp8uGJ9r1rko70jo1_500.gif

P.S.

A Flash made in Flash.

flash-loop-8x6.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure they even have a hoover dam look at the size of that hoover, must have some serious sucking capability.

934px-Hoover_sm.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

isn't that where they keep the spaceships that crash here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think they split it between themselves and Area 51, but Hoover Dam is where the Transformers are kept.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since this is not a request for technical help, I've moved this to the Lounge Forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tumblr_n3by3aDAow1rdutw3o1_r1_400.gif

It was a general discussion about Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry.  I guess my post was a bit terse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the same as 

to Xerox

to microwave

to nuke

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2017 Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Nancy+OShea  wrote

It's the same as 

to Xerox

to microwave

to nuke

Nancy, Xerox is trademarked; microwave and nuke are not.

Victory for Xerox as IPAB upholds its trademark status | Newsletter 40 - S.S.Rana & Co.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e  wrote

Nancy, Xerox is trademarked; microwave and nuke are not.

Victory for Xerox as IPAB upholds its trademark status | Newsletter 40 - S.S.Rana & Co.

Yes. Xerox is trademarked.  But Nuclear is an adjective and Microwave is a noun yet we treat them as verbs. 

And sometimes we convert adjectives to nouns as in Going Postal (losing control in the workplace).

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy, okay, I see where you were going with that now!

I was married to a Patent Examiner for 16 years and learned a lot about patents and trademarks back then.

I came in to this thread thinking that if Adobe allows "photoshopping" or "photoshopped" to mean editing a photo with any image editing software, then they are in danger of losing their trademark. That's why they can't and don't allow it.

Singer lost their trademark when it became generic for sewing machine, and were actually able to get it back. Now companies have learned to take cautions to do whatever it is they need to do to keep their trademarks.

So back to the OP, it's not a question of whether or not Adobe hates it, it's that they have to protect their trademark.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see what you mean.  But when I make my shopping list, I use tradenames for generic items as I'm sure most people do.   For example:

Is it Kleenex or a box of facial tissues? 

Band-Aids or a box of adhesive bandages?

Windex or window cleaning solution? 

Jello-O or gelatin dessert mix?

And my favorite is Q-tips.  I honestly don't know what else to call Q-tips except Q-tips.

People use tradenames to communicate.  That's not going to stop no matter how hard companies try to regulate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy, I am with you 100% and I do the same! I will even admit to using "photoshopping" (lc) as a verb. It is not up to us consumers to stop; it is up to the companies to keep telling us we are wrong (if I remember correctly from the Patent Office lawyer ex whom I have not seen in over two decades.)

In this case, where the OP asked about Adobe and Photoshop, legally Adobe has to protect their trademark. I don't know all of the specifics of what they have to do.

Everything I know about copyright and trademark, I learned from him, and it's been useful info over the years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e  wrote

Nancy, I am with you 100% and I do the same! I will even admit to using "photoshopping" (lc) as a verb. It is not up to us consumers to stop; it is up to the companies to keep telling us we are wrong (if I remember correctly from the Patent Office lawyer ex whom I have not seen in over two decades.)

In this case, where the OP asked about Adobe and Photoshop, legally Adobe has to protect their trademark. I don't know all of the specifics of what they have to do.

Everything I know about copyright and trademark, I learned from him, and it's been useful info over the years.

It's the same with anything that someone else purchases though, yes Adobe purchased the licence but they weren't the creators, same can be said for Disney, they bought Lucasfilm but they can't stop people using Star Wars ideas because Lucas always intended for it to be parodied. Like what was said above with various products, hoover being a prime example, you also have Google, which is a browser but Google is also a verb.

Interesting factoid, you can upload anything from the original films onto YouTube and nothing will happen but if you put up stuff from the Family Guy Star Wars series then it'll be copyrighted. Someone tried putting up the barge scene and it was copyrighted but the original footage wasn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Over this side of the world we call them cotton buds (y'all say swabs) because they're cotton and bud shaped, although there isn't a different name for them, here's the wiki article.

You Americans really did butcher the English language; Jell-O = Jelly, Jelly = Jam.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We do not have this problem with Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pffft you mean the PDF viewer? I doubt people even know that has a name

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pffft you mean the PDF viewer?

Acrobat (as opposed to Acrobat Reader) is not just a PDF viewer but a PDF editor …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines