• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

U.S. & Canada: Don't Eat Any Romaine Lettuce

Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just in time for the Thanksgiving Holiday, a nationwide recall.

'Do Not Eat Any Romaine Lettuce': CDC - NBC4 Washington

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's difficult to know where to take a stance in situations like this.  On the one hand we read about how youngsters today are more prone to allergies, and have less robust immune systems because they 'don't eat enough dirt'.  Then we read that supermarket trolley handles, and toilet doors etc. are not great things to touch.

12 Hot Spots for Germs and Bacteria: A Healthy Home Guide | Fitness Magazine

You might be familiar with super-vet Noel Fitzpatrick who creates bionic animals from his animal hospitals in the UK.  This week we saw  an episode where a dog that had had a shattered leg rebuilt, developed secondary infection, weeks after a successful operation, by 'licking the wound'.  Noel  told the dog's owner that dogs have a 100 different types of bacteria in their mouths!  Now I had always thought that animals 'cleaned' their wounds by licking them, but suddenly I'm having to rethink letting a dog lick your face.

Image result for noel fitzpatrick 100 types of bacteria

Hey, I've just remembered a very similar story we had just last year:

Contaminated salad recalled, harmful to children and elderly | Stuff.co.nz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

suddenly I'm having to rethink letting a dog lick your face.

well yes if you have a cut on your face

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Romaine lettuce comes to mind as an ingredient in the Caesar salad. The Caesar Salad gets its name from the place it was originally made, the Hotel Caesar in Tijuana, Mexico. I had a chance to visit that Hotel when it had a restaurant that served that salad. The best I ever had. The restaurant later closed and was replaced by a fast food burger place.

I had visited San Diego and took the trolley to San Ysidro border crossing. Always made a point  to use bottled water and never eat anything off a street food cart. I guess with drug cartels and immigrant caravans, not some place I go out of my way to wander around these days.

Anyway the health advisory is  still on. For perspective 32 people were infected with e.coli, 13 hospitalized, no deaths.

Link goes to the CDC website.

Outbreak of E. coli Infections Linked to Romaine Lettuce | E. coli Infections Linked to Romaine Lett...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

E-coli is nasty stuff.   So much of what we eat now is grown hydroponically rather than in soil.  I wonder what romaine growers in vastly different regions have in common.  Is it the seed, the growing medium, water filtration, nutrients or possibly a mutation in the lettuce?   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My (possibly faulty, read this a long time ago) memory says that "spray on liquid fertilizer" is animal waste (cow crap) that is fermented in big tanks to produce a liquid

If that resulting liquid is not heat treated to kill bacteria, you have a problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That makes sense.  I feed my plants fish emulsion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a big hydroponic strawberry grower down the road from us.  The big rectangle at the bottom is all hydroponic strawberries — I don't know what the glass house at the top.  Obviously it is surrounded on all sides by grapes.  There is very little land here not used for growing grapes.

A wee story.  I was there  once and saw a single Indian lady in some sort of traditional red dress, working in the ocean of waist height green strawberry plants (on platforms in case anyone does not know how the hydroponic thing works).  It was a really nice picture, and I asked if I could go grab a camera.  He was having none of it, and thought I was a spy from Romania trying to  steal his strawberry growing secrets.

I made up the Romania bit.

Nice strawberries though, for all the artifice involved in growing them.  NZ$10 gets you a big punnet, (another dollar and you get strawberries in it ).  On a sunny weekend in season, the car park is full and the side road is has a good few overflow vehicles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Nancy+OShea  wrote

E-coli is nasty stuff.  ...  I wonder what romaine growers in vastly different regions have in common.

It's not that they have something in common. It's that they don't know where the tainted lettuce came from, thus the warning not to eat any brand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Peru+Bob  wrote

It's not that they have something in common. It's that they don't know where the tainted lettuce came from, thus the warning not to eat any brand.

But this isn't the 1st time romaine has been recalled.  And we've had other e-coli related crop recalls for spinach and strawberries, watermelon, etc... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gener7  wrote

The Caesar Salad gets its name from the place it was originally made, the Hotel Caesar in Tijuana, Mexico.

Well at least the migrant caravan people are getting a healthy diet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2018 Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

gener7   wrote

The Caesar Salad gets its name from the place it was originally made, the Hotel Caesar in Tijuana, Mexico.

Well at least the migrant caravan people are getting a healthy diet.

Not until the Romaine lettuce is cleared.

But I'm told any salad can be a Caesar Salad if you stab it enough times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

only if you stab it in the back

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The front stab was the lucky one out of 23 tries. Julius Caesar's assassination: 10 facts about the Ides of March murder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes Caesar Salad has nothing to do with Julius, just like Ned Kelly was nobody's hero but we don't let the facts get in the way of a story mate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'll let stabbed Caesars lie.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines