What comes after concept art?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So recently I learnt that "concept art" is mostly only used to illustrate ideas and not as the final result (yea I know - "conceptualize").  So let's say we were creating art for a book or a 2d game, then we would test different thoughts/ideas using concept art. Then we conclude what we want, but then what? Would you just make the particular concept art that you liked more detailed and sharpen its edges? What is the name of the product of this process, "final art"? Orrr am I just totally overthinking this?

Note: I know this can sound like a silly question but please bear with me

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Guide ,
Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes art is divided into various categories, and one of them is "figurative". In other words, what the audience THINKS is what the meaning, as the artist doesn't know what it really means. They leave it up to the audience to figure it out.

Usually it is accompanied by fancy stuff like Latin, Greek, Japanese one liners, or anything vague.

Here's an example.

I am listening to music track ( monkey man by Bob Dylan) on album from Traveling Willbury band, and the BBC newspaper online has THIS as a fascinating news item on it's site right now.  This is real news !  Don't forget, journalism is based on 'who what when where how'.

monkey woman.jpg

In the movie, Caddyshack, starring ( among others) Bill Murray as a handy man, there was a scene where he was washing a golf ball and got into a rant about Mrs. XX, who he was fond of, and said, " OH, Mrs. X, you are so HOT, YOU ARE A MONKEY WOMAN", or something like that... and I have to believe that this BBC expose of real news is maybe the first example of a REAL MONKEY WOMAN in the history of mankind !

What a great news media we have !!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Guide ,
Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having described 'figurative' art, which mean the artist has no clue what it's about, and leaves it up to the audience to figure it out ( usually reflections of boats in water etc. ), the conceptual thing is even MORE abstract. Like, you can put a bunch of cloth around Central Park, between posts, and call it GATES. Now you have not only the far out figurative stuff going on in the audience's heads, where they don't have a clue what the art means, but you ALSO have the really high ideal of CONCEPTUAL art, which means that even if you manage to figure out what the figurative nature of the thing is ( to you personally ) you now have to understand that you are WRONG in your assessment, due to the fact that it means absolutely NOTHING concrete at all.

It's like looking at the stars at night and thinking whatever you want, and whatever you think it has nothing to do with you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A lot depends on how many project members you must deal with.

http://www.safetyandhealthfoundation.org/images/WhatTheCustomerOrdered.png

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hehe, reminds me...

how many art directors does it take to screw in a light bulb ?

A: does it have to be a light bulb ?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines