• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When do you remove holiday decor?

Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not one of those neighbors who leaves their holiday lights up year-round.  But I'm ashamed to admit that finding time to un-decorate is a real challenge this time of year.  I have a lot to do and the weather is not being very cooperative.

I know, I know.  No excuses. 

What do you think is a reasonable cut-off date for holiday decor?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Epiphany Sunday. The end of the 12 days of Christmas.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Szalam wrote:

OK.  What if you're a traditional Orthodox & celebrate Christmas on Jan 7, wouldn't that make Jan 19 the 12th day of Chirstmas?   Or am I grasping at straws here?

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy OShea wrote:

OK. What if you're a traditional Orthodox & celebrate Christmas on Jan 7, wouldn't that make Jan 19 the 12th day of Chirstmas? Or am I grasping at straws here?

Nancy

If you are traditional Orthodox, then you are celebrating on December 25 on the Julian calendar, aka January 7 on the Gregorian calendar. You have Advent, followed Christmas, followed by Epiphany. The twelve days of Christmas is part of the church calendar.

But if you have live tree, please take it down before it becomes a fire hazard.

Don't be like the six people in Annapolis who died in a fire on January 19, 2014.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's just family tradition lest so around here. Some folks 'round my neck of the woods take 'em down the day after Christmas. Then there's them that wait until the day after New Year. But there's whole bunch that just never seem to take 'em down and want Christmas to last forever. I reckon in your case you'll just have to wait until you find some free time (weather permitting) and the gumption to get around to climbing ladders and twineing lights into boxes for next season...lord willing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it really matters Nancy.

I know many think that the 12th night is when it should be done, but this did not happen until the 19th century. Prior to that it was sometime in February, (sorry cannot remember the actual date).

Middle of summer though, would be a little excessive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina wrote:

Well it does if you have a strict condo or home owners association to deal with.

My last HOA had all sorts of rules about excessive lights, signage, props, x-mas tree disposal, etc...   My current one is pretty lax, but if I wait 'til St Patrick's Day, they might get a bit prickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy OShea wrote:

pziecina wrote:

Well it does if you have a strict condo or home owners association to deal with.

My last HOA had all sorts of rules about excessive lights, signage, props, x-mas tree disposal, etc... My current one is pretty lax, but if I wait 'til St Patrick's Day, they might get a bit prickly.

the 12 rules of x-mas just doesn't have the same vibe to it imo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2017 Jan 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solve the problem by not putting up decorations. That way, I don't have to worry about when to take them down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2017 Jan 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I were the OP Nancy OShea​, I would mark Chuck Uebele​'s answer as correct!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e wrote:

If I were the OP Nancy OShea, I would mark Chuck Uebele's answer as correct!

...and yet..a mere half an hour after my suggestion, Randy Hufford​ decided Epiphany Sunday is correct!

I actually concur, but still take them down on a day that it's convenient—usually a weekend.

_randy.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Come on Nancy, 'fess-up, I bet you had your husband take 'em down an hour before or after you posted this question didn't you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope.  It's been raining steadily with high gusty winds here.  And more rain is in the forecast.

In the meantime, I stayed up late one night & took down the tree & ornaments.  I have yet to box up everything in the garage, however.  It's too cold.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2017 Jan 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We usually take them down on New Year's Day or the weekend after. When there's snow on the ground, however, we leave up for a few more weeks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We finally got a break in the weather yesterday (ML King Day).  I am happy to report the Christmas stuff is down & packed up for next year. 

The more I think about it, @'s got the right idea.  Just don't put them up .

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't suggest going as far as not putting them up. If having Christmas decorations is a tradition then carry on. I've come to the conclusion that it's all for the kids anyway and has become to commercialized to the point that it has lost it's original meaning. If you don't have young ones at home any longer then maybe it's time to break with tradition and not put as "many" up as you normally did but a few can't hurt. Just try not to out-do the Jones next door. Even if you win you lose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2017 Feb 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hehe! I'm the opposite! I hate clutter so ASAP after Christmas day for me! - bah humbug!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2017 Feb 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reminds me of that time I left my tree up all year (artificial of coarse). But in Feb I added hearts, in May flowers, stars and stripes for July and so forth...it was quite the conversation piece. Either lazy or artistic it is one to remember.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

theupsstore4643  wrote

Reminds me of that time I left my tree up all year (artificial of coarse). But in Feb I added hearts, in May flowers, stars and stripes for July and so forth...it was quite the conversation piece. Either lazy or artistic it is one to remember.

What a great idea! I choose to characterize that as artistic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines