• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does Adobe keep trying to get everyone to use Chrome or Chromium?

New Here ,
Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Adobe have an affiliation with google? Is that why they keep trying to cram Chrome and Chromium onto everyones computers? If you happen to miss the check box that stops this installation you have it automatically installed. I think that they should have it the other way around where you have to check the box if you want it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

pziecina wrote:

Just remembered a possible explanation for this one -

I suspect there could be monetary considerations as well. What I usually see bundled with Flash updates is (again with the default checkbox set to "on") an offer to install MacAffee antivirus in my system. I'm guessing that for every install, a few coins change hands.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't noticed them pushing Chrome, what program are you talking about?

The reasons to use Chromium, (CEF) are because -

• It was until 2 years ago the only browser framework available as a framework
  • It supports all the html, css and javascript that the same version of Chrome supported at that time.
  • Most web users now use Chrome as the default browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I go to update Flash player it comes with Chromium and whenever I update Acrobat Reader it has a box to uncheck for Chrome.

I believe it would be better to have the box unchecked and let the user decide weather they want Chrome and Chromium rather than having it the other way around.

Personally I don't like either of these products and don't want them on my computer. So every time I do an update I have to remember to uncheck the box for Chrome on the Acrobat Reader and I haven't seen a box to uncheck for Chromium. Thus removing Chromium is a pain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason Chromium come with the Flash player, is because CC Animate, (previously Flash pro) can also create html5 canvas animations. So in order to play both swf and html5 canvas animations, without using a Browser, (most browsers block swf now anyway) the Chromium framework is required.

As for Acrobat reader, I use the pdf reader that comes installed in browsers, or the full version, so I don't know about the reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wiley0ne wrote:

whenever I update Acrobat Reader it has a box to uncheck for Chrome.

A few years ago, (about 2011) Adobe collaborated with Google in the development of new css features for the web, and submitted specs for inclusion in the W3C's recommendation process. These included such things as css shapes, (for wrapping text around shapes or to follow shapes inside images, (without having the text as part of the image).

There was also a css spec titled css regions, which was a way to include an external html document 'snippet'  in another html document, (simple cms). This however was removed by Chrome, a few years later, (about mid 2013) and as far as I know this ended the collaborative partnership, as Adobe stopped 'being interested' in future web development, and possibly explains the lack of Adobes interest in html5, css3 and modern javascript.

This collaboration, and the 'offer' of downloading Chrome, may have been part of that agreement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina wrote:

I suspect there could be monetary considerations as well. What I usually see bundled with Flash updates is (again with the default checkbox set to "on") an offer to install MacAffee antivirus in my system. I'm guessing that for every install, a few coins change hands.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't noticed Chrome being pushed either. As pziecina mentions, could you please be more specific in where you see them pushing it? It has not installed either browser on any of my machines, nor has it asked to do so. It's possible that you are using different Adobe products than we are, so specifics may help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just set up a new computer, and installed Adobe Reader. In the installation process, it defaults to installing Google Chrome browser on your computer. You have to deselect if you don't want it.

This may be what @wileyOne is referring to above.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael J. Hoffman wrote:

This may be what @wileyOne is referring to above.

That would not account for the Chromium reference though.

For those who do not know -

Chromium is the name given to the 'chromium embedded framework', which is used to present the user with a view of how something would look if it was viewed in the browser. One example would be Dreamweavers live view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By default, many browsers do not have the PDF plug-in installed.  It's something you have to get manually and then read the help docs to enable.  I'm guessing someone thought it would be better to push out Google Chrome with plugins for added convenience.   It's a non-issue for me because I already have Chrome plus Firefox, Opera, IE11 and Edge.

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also a huge fan of having multiple browsers: Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and Safari. Because you just never know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e wrote:

Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and Safari.

I see you left out Edge and IE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peru Bob wrote:

I see you left out Edge and IE.

Hahaha, yes.

AFAIK, IE hasn't run on a Mac OS since IE5 or 6, and Edge never has!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2017 Feb 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you're one of those Mac people...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're on a PC, Edge is actually surprisingly good. It's one of the lightest browsers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good to know—I will check out Edge. I do keep Windows on Mac, but only for Acrobat functionality and MS Office. I go there every month or two (sometimes three).

IE/Edge went up in browser stats slightly in January: from 4.8 % to 4.9 %

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines