• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is concept art only created using raster graphics?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2018 Aug 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The title says it all. Why is concept art only created using raster graphics? Like, I have never really seen one creating concept art in Illustrator (i.e. using vector graphics) rather than Photoshop.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You maybe should ask those who create concept art why they choose Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2018 Aug 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"For the other ones: it just makes no sense at all to even try." - why woulnd't it be? Can't you create the exact same shapes in Illustrator as in Photoshop?

Oh and regarding your beautiful suggestion: "You maybe should ask those who create concept art why they choose Photoshop?" - I tried that Concept art - why do you prefer raster graphics? [Locked] , but then it got locked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MedionVuVySoft  schrieb

"For the other ones: it just makes no sense at all to even try." - why woulnd't it be? Can't you create the exact same shapes in Illustrator as in Photoshop?

Please dive into the documentation and try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MedionVuVySoft  wrote

Oh and regarding your beautiful suggestion: "You maybe should ask those who create concept art why they choose Photoshop?" - I tried that Concept art - why do you prefer raster graphics? [Locked]  , but then it got locked?

The Adobe Forums don't allow double posting, so the message you put on the Photoshop forum on August 19 at 4:01 PM was locked for that reason. You originally posted this to the Illustrator forum, which is where it was when Monika made that suggestion, then it was moved to the Lounge to draw in users of both platforms. The discussion can be moved to Photoshop, but if people use only Illustrator they may not see it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MedionVuVySoft  wrote

Oh and regarding your beautiful suggestion: "You maybe should ask those who create concept art why they choose Photoshop?" - I tried that Concept art - why do you prefer raster graphics? [Locked]  , but then it got locked?

I locked the other thread with a link back to this thread so anyone can answer here and we don't have duplicate threads running.

Part of the answer may lie in which application "feels" more like conventional brush and air-brush painting right at the start, which I would suggest is Photoshop.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alrighty. Thanks for the input! But it just seems a little odd to me; the fact that people tend to choose a specific kind of software (in this case softwares using raster graphics) without a comprehensive consideration of a rationale. Not that I do not appreciate all the input that this thread gets (actually, they are all much appreciated!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is another possibility. In recent times , many people come to the Adobe software applications via the Photography Plan which gives Photoshop and Lightroom at a reduced subscription rate compared to other single CC applications. Once you learn a tool you tend to stick with it, and only move out when it becomes restrictive in terms of what you are trying to achieve.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disney used the term "Concept Art" in the 30s and probably wasn't using Photoshop back then.

Since you question isn't directly about Illustrator, I moved this discussion from Illustrator to The Lounge where it is more likely to get the feedback that you are looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

because you need to learn Illustrator and as a rule of thumb art people don't like tech things... you do get a lot of Photoshop users and ime this is because of tech called art-tablets and Wacom are prob the best known makers

Screenshot (1223).png

the idea is that you "draw" on the tablet instead of paper and they do a good job of bridging the gap for non-techie art people to get their art digital i.e, Photoshop

another less known issue is that vector = cpu so yes its great for scalling up an image but the cost in cpu power also makes it unsuited for normal everyday art

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are big fans of Bert Monroy here, who creates amazing art with Adobe applications.  He mostly uses Photoshop, but does include Illustrator in his workflow.  Bert shares that workflow in great detail in his Lynda.com videos, which means you can learn all his tips and tricks.  Lynda.com does need a subscription, but it is totally worth it.

bert monroy - Lynda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but I do not really see any video in which Bert Monroy uses Illustrator, only Photoshop.. So again, concept art = raster graphics, but why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MedionVuVySoft  schrieb

So again, concept art = raster graphics, but why?

Can you please post some links to the kind of concept art you want to talk about?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe 1% of those can be created in Illustrator.

For the other ones: it just makes no sense at all to even try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 20, 2018 Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MedionVuVySoft  wrote

Thanks, but I do not really see any video in which Bert Monroy uses Illustrator, only Photoshop.. So again, concept art = raster graphics, but why?

He does use Illustrator, but not for painting.   He uses it to create guides, and work out perspectives, and where shadows  should fall.  He would use it for complex line work involving scrolls, and objects best drawn using a workpath.  In fact he paints using the freehand  pen tool sometimes, and then simplifies the path.  The big advantage of this is that you can fine tune that line before stroking it.

It might help if you could clarify exactly what you mean my concept art?  It's  just that I couldn't  imagine trying to paint like this using Illustrator.   

So I went looking for vector artists, and concept art made with Illustrator, and found exactly what I expected.

https://graphicmama.com/blog/famous-vector-artists-mind-blowing-portfolios/

The last group of six images above, is entirely typical of what Illustrator is good for.

Can you show us some of your work, and roughly describe your workflow?    Is your goal, and the point of this thread, to learn how to paint using Illustrator, or  just to decide which application might be best  for concept art?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The main question is why art- if you wish to create then do it on your own terms- don't look for questions to be answered that have nothing to do with the process of creation!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MedionVuVySoft  wrote

The title says it all.

No it does not.  What make you believe that concept art only created using raster graphics.  Even Photoshop has text and vector tools.  The concept art you see on line is displayed by your browser are normally small jpeg file not the actual concept art.  Sure some or most may be raster layers for artiest traditionally use brushes and analog tools to create art and created quick sketches.  I'll  bet some may even have used mechanical devices devices to create shapes and used other aids.  I can not believe those now creating art on computers would not adopt other tools and technology.   I believe your assertion is incorrect.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What make you believe that concept art only created using raster graphics.

Because every person on sources like lynda and youtube uses such softwares when creating their concept art. Just try searching for "concept art tutorial" on youtube and 99.9% of the results would consist of videos including softwares using raster graphics. Thus, doesn't that sort of imply that such artworks have a tendency to be created with raster graphics? Appreciate your input, but yet only Dave has provided some actual rationale about why some would choose raster graphics even though there are so many benefits with vector graphics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave I believe stated some may use Photoshop for one reason or an other and the may know Photoshop and have a cheap plane that does not include AI.  Photoshop is basically a raster application but is also has Vector, Text and 3D tools. The will be used.  Adobe perks me with a full Creative Cloud Subscription  still all I install is Photoshop I know it quite well and at my age I have desire to learn other complex Adobe applications like Indesign, Illustrator, Premier Pro, After Effects etc.  Lightroom does not support layers and its not the fastest front end for Photoshop.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MedionVuVySoft  wrote

Appreciate your input, but yet only Dave has provided some actual rationale about why some would choose raster graphics even though there are so many benefits with vector graphics.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the benefits with vector graphics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose you could compare it to traditional art. If you were going to create a portrait of someone would you prefer to use paint or make a collage?

I'm guessing since a painted portrait has a much broader appeal, that is why people use PS/Wacoms to mimic that look. Plus you can be a lot more loose and expressive with it than you can be in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just personal preferences, but i feel its "easier" to paint in photoshop when concept or previs artwork is concerned, because at this stage we are sketching ideas and refining them and experimenting with color, where a vector illustration is more technical and takes more pre-planning with an already developed concept...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much guys! Thanks for sharing your thoughts  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines