• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wishlist: Your Wish for Adobe's Next New Application

Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2016 Jun 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the new Fourm Lounge where we can let down our hair and chat as designers and developers, peers. I'm Pariah Burke, your unofficial guide through this newly rechristened conversation space. Feel free to post anything in this forum you'd like to talk about with other creatives and programmers, anything that isn't "this broke" or "how do I make Application X do that".

Pull up a chair, pour yourself a glass of wine, a mug of stout, or cup of tea, and let's talk.

I'll get the ball rolling by asking a question:

What is the next application Adobe should make? Looking at all the applications in Creative Cloud (and beyond), what do you think is missing? What need do you see that Adobe could fill?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A home grown replacement for Encore, now that Adobe is no longer allowed to port Encore forward to the Cloud version

-CS6 is the final Encore, see #8 here for why http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1337952?tstart=0

I'm sure this is LOW on Adobe's list, since it hasn't happened since CS6, but there are people who still need to create a DVD or BluRay, and installing Encore on new computers and operating systems is being increasingly problematic

-Getting Encore instructions, Cloud or serial number version https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1992717

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I wish for is in the works... 3D app!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't bet on this one. Sorry, man.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm ... a few things, of course!

Before continuing, Adobe makes so many apps, and rather than new ones, I think re-building some of their current Whiz Kid Ideas would be incredible for me.

First, I SO agree with John above ... a new DVD/Blu-Ray authoring program would be SO useful. Sigh.

Next, perhaps another Quixotic-adventure, making a "real" grading app if SpeedGrade isn't going to be brought along. The Lumetri color panel within PrPro 2015 is really pretty cool but not something that compares even with SpeedGrade, not even "where it's at" (having been left behind with no development the last year) as far as range of controls/capabilities/SPEED of doing things.

The 2016 release will bring the Lumetri panel a long way along, and I'm thrilled with it, it's very useful in many workflows, and I do NOT want to sound like I'm disagreeing with that work.

BUT ... there's such a huge jump in what you can do within even 2016 Lumetri to say, Resolve ... that many of our peers & clients are having to do all the time consuming detailed tech work to export projects for grading and then re-conform afterwards.

The entire idea of the Direct Link from PrPro to a grading app is AWESOMENESS DEFINED! I just wish they'd build a real grading app ... or update SpeedGrade a ton. Yuck, but I HATE prepping to go to "R" and return. So I stick almost always with Sg ...

That last idea might have just as much legs as an idea as John's but there it is.

Last thing on the first pop into the brain ... really work with CAPTURE!

That is the coolest little app, I'm having a blast creating intriguingly different "looks" as starting points for video colorist/grading work. It keeps each project different ... yet believable. For many I've talked with, it ... surprises them. Not good surprise, but in the ... huh ... um, now what do I do? sort of way. Yet with a bit of futzing, it's really a nifty speedy little tool.

Hmmm ... other ideas do percolate ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I come from the audio side of things and I wish they'd make (or buy) a MIDI sequencing programme.  This would probably want to be a stand alone build but want to link seamlessly to Audition and maybe Premiere Pro.  MIDI isn't just for making music...it's also great for creating sound effects for use in your video and audio projects.  Everyone needs a good "Swish" or "Swoop" or "Ominous drone" from time to time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2016 Jun 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might be a cheat answer... but I really wish they'd build an Android version of Spark Post

Yeah, not a "new" app per se... but yeah.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 30, 2016 Jun 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish some kind of 3D software where you can build intermediate level meshes fast with UV's so you could visualize your graphics to clients. I work with many kinds of products where the final graphics are on curved surface. And it would be great if you could also plan a whole room with these products. Including lighting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

K´mo wrote:

I wish some kind of 3D software where you can build intermediate level meshes fast with UV's so you could visualize your graphics to clients. I work with many kinds of products where the final graphics are on curved surface. And it would be great if you could also plan a whole room with these products. Including lighting.

After Effects comes with Cinema 4D Lite included.

This training series shows some of what it can do.

You can do what you're describing in it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't know that! Thanks for the tip, I have to take a look at it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 21, 2016 Jul 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if anyone remembers Adobe Dimensions. I believe they came out with version 1.0 and zapped it. It was pretty simplistic in it's features; cones, cubes, spheres and such. You could combine them but that was about it. I still have a copy somewhere but haven't used it in years. I wouldn't doubt that some of the 3d features currently being used in Photoshop are perhaps beefed up legacy code from Dimensions. There are MANY 3d software on the market already. I pray and doubt Adobe will turn their premiere photo editing software into a 3d software or take much more time with what they've included so far. As it is, their vector pen and shapes feature steals some thunder away from Illustrator which is a true vector line art program. Pretty soon no one will need to ask for anything because it will have already been incorporated into PS which is not a good thing IMO.

Maybe just maybe, with this cloud technology they can conjure a way to compartmentalize the components so that all you have to do is download a lean and fast Photoshop and whatever features you need you can plug it in from their servers remotely and that would be included with the lease price. After all who has more storage space than Adobe...well, maybe the IRS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure we need a separate app for this but I think it's time to support Base64 encoding in Dreamweaver, Illustrator, Photoshop, Animate, Muse, etc...

For anyone who doesn't know what the heck I'm talking about:

Base64 encoding images for faster pages | Performance and seo factors

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 05, 2016 Jul 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a Premiere Pro user, I would prefer to see fewer new features and more focus on fixing bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hard to convince the marketing department of those priorities.

Adobe still has to sell software subscriptions and compete in the market against other vendors who will always add new features. Hardening PP and fixing bugs is a given for most users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that but it seems like the balance is a bit off at the moment. It may just be my perception but from past visits to the support forum I have seen many other who share it.  You have to support the customers you currently have to keep them, correct? That seems like a priority to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kre57 wrote:

As a Premiere Pro user, I would prefer to see fewer new features and more focus on fixing bugs.

I have a bit of sympathy with this (even though I suggested a new app that I think is necessary on the audio side).  However, beyond just bug fixing, I'd add that I think some work needs to be done to improve efficiency and ease of use on the UI side of things.  If, like me, you use a range of different products, it becomes obvious that there are small differences in how things work that can slow me down.   I've been using Adobe products for many years and, all too often, the rush to add a whiz bang new feature results in the software being a bit bloated, especially if it's a feature I don't use (or don't use regularly).

Sorry to divert this topic from feature and new software requests but I think user friendliness should at least be a consideration when contemplating changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know, for me. I do not want to see any new software.

At the end of the day most of the most used software are modified and updated but still share the same code base, legacy code and features. Across the board these hinder the apps causing them to be to big in file size, poor performing and well... Bulky.

Other software now matching Photoshop for features in many regards or with more features, new and well presented run well on a mac without even tapping into the graphics card heavily to operate etc. Still prefer photoshop to many out there but credit where it is due... Modern image manipulation applications etc run better.

Illustrator is even worse and even on the best Mac's when you have illustrator and photoshop open along with a few other apps, your web browsers.. Trouble happens.

People are still trying to turn to font management tools to not take 2 days to load an Adobe product trying to load fonts in an old school clunky way.

I would much prefer see a series of revisits to applications from Adobe. Take Photoshop, build it to what it is today but from the ground up, modern structures, optimised, good perfomance and features in a scalable solution for more awesome updates.

Do that for other applications as well.

For Dreamweaver - It is time to retire it. Keep it but do nothing more to it. I think this is to much to save. Use what Brackets has formed with the community, replace both the coding apps in CC with a new application, again taking Brackets but developing a ground work.

You do not need the design mode stuff in Dreamweaver any more. If basic designers want to do something that produces SOME form of code to make a site - Muse is there.

Even Atom from Git has come along way fast as a coding platform with great community plugins and support. Adobe embraces the Design world but Design and Code come hand in hand for many things, even animation.

A well rounded, great looking and feature rich coding platform from Adobe being able to pull assets in from photoshop in a smooth and effecient way (which DW simply isnt) that takes queues from Coda, Sublime, Atom etc.

I think they have all the apps, TO many in fact, some can be combine, but its time to focus on optimisation and performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2016 Jul 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Liam Dilley wrote:

For Dreamweaver - It is time to retire it. Keep it but do nothing more to it. I think this is to much to save. Use what Brackets has formed with the community, replace both the coding apps in CC with a new application, again taking Brackets but developing a ground work.

You do not need the design mode stuff in Dreamweaver any more. If basic designers want to do something that produces SOME form of code to make a site - Muse is there.

Muse is not capable of supporting advanced programming features. And if you've ever used MU, you already know the code is a devil to work with in any other code editor but MU.

Since Macromedia days, DW has appealed to both coders and designers.  I don't think it's reasonable to take anything away from either camp.  However, If you haven't already, please take a thorough look at the public Beta release that's currently available through the pre-release site.  Use your Adobe ID and password to access it.  You might be pleasantly surprised by Brackets integration plus many other features both coders and designers have been asking for. 

Welcome all! Dreamweaver beta is now live!

Nancy O.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 06, 2016 Jul 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy, that is what I was referring too.
To develop a replacement for Dreamweaver with the foundation of the brackets work that does not include the out dated design features. There is another application that does that basic click draw site stuff - Muse.
There are different target audiences, trying to do all in one does not work.

I have seen the beta for Dreamweaver, I feel it is a real mess.. Seeing that was one of the justifications for my post.  Even Komodo edit, which I am not a fan did a rebuild to meat modern developer requirements (http://komodoide.com/komodo-edit/

I am still not a fan but it does more in terms of modern best practices then the DW beta.

Visual studio has a lot more to it then DW and for me Microsoft are doing a lot with the UI etc and doing a better job.
The screenshot used to preview the demo does more harm then good. It shows an attempt at a clean UI while actually being extremely cluttered, scattered and all over the place.

dw-screen.png

Based on several best coding apps 2015 and 2016 and surveys I have seen DW continues to fall and I do not see that changing.
While Photoshop has seen good improvements but still has the slow codebase that needs sorting, DW is one of the applications that just needs to be re-done front and back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 28, 2016 Jul 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know there are a lot of them out there  (but there are a lot of image and video editors too - but adobe still makes them) so I'll suggest it anyhow...

How about a Fractal Generator?

Fractals have come a long way since the old days of Z = Z^2 + C  (The Classic Mandelbrot Set).  We now have The Mandelbox and Mandelbulb for the 3D World, and with the advent of Perturbation Theory we can do insanely deep zooms into the M Set well past e10,000 with render times measured in minutes or hours instead of days or weeks like they would have needed just a few years ago.

OK, now that I've lost a lot of people, I suggest doing a web search for the word "Fractal" and seek images.  Fractals and Fractal Generators are one of my many "Secret Weapons" for making nice royalty free patterns and backgrounds.  Fractals are deeply rooted in the very nature of existence, so to not have a really high end one (such as the team at adobe could surely create) is odd.  Yes, there are many free and open source ones out there, but there is always room for improvement.  And yes, the commercially available UltraFractal is hard to beat  (but it's interface is troublesome for the non-mathematicians out there).  I just can't help but wonder what a big budget company could do with one.

The programs can even be used as image editors!  I'll post one or two in my stuff here as examples.  Not sure if anybody else cares, but posting this bit is a good way to find out 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh phooey, you don't need a whole program just for generating fractals; just a well coded plugin will do that and they're out there already. Besides, just how often does one use fractals in anything that anyone notices for that matter. A program like that would be a waste of money for Adobe and a commercial loser...well maybe you'd buy it and then complain about how it doesn't do this or don't do that!

As for me, I'd just like to sit in on one of Adobe's department brainstorming sessions or two or maybe a board meeting just to see what the hell they discuss and do with all the tons of cash they've made off of us all these many years. They need to whip those programmers into line and start paying attention to what and how they're coding. To much grab-ass over there and it's really starting to show up in what they're delivering for the price!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hear your phooey I reply poo-poo and hubba-hubba!  To say nothing of piffle!

Just because you can't see the potential does not mean it doesn't exist.

I use fractals in practically every project I do.  I have worked them into art on websites for everything from churches to pornography.  In fact, I may have been the first to use them in Naughty Adult Content over a decade ago.

They work far better than you think.

If, as you claim, they are not that hard to make then that is obviously an argument in favor of having one - not a reason to overlook them.  After all, the more resources we have, the better we are at our trade.

I have seen many of those plugins and they are all bare bones and extremely limited.  I've yet to see one with the ability to make hybrids, map images into orbit traps, or allow for use of animated texturing of 3D Fractals.

Fractal landscapes appear in everything from video games to Star Wars movies.  I think that alone proves their worth in a production environment.

But since you are a skeptic after my own heart, I'll keep on going!  Here is an image I did in a fractal generator for a model's website (and she loved it, not to mention eventually becoming the woman I wound up spending my life with).

profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=93659&size=1000

That is just a single example of the literally infinite possibilities when using fractal generators with pictures  (I just used that one because it's special to me).  I even have that one animated.  I never rendered it in great quality since it was just for fun, but here is a link if anyone cares to waste a minute or 2 watching it:

http://vid106.photobucket.com/albums/m278/sockratease/slices2.mp4

Dismissing them outright is not something you'd do if you were aware of the extent of their potential. 

If most of those programs are single person to small volunteer teams, I strongly suspect that if adobe threw money at development that they may just manage to take things to an even higher level.  Possibly even enough to convince you that you could well be mistaken in your abrupt dismissal of the idea.

They could allow for immersion with 3D obj files and rigged figures could interact with the fractal environment in full 3D making use of distance estimate calculations and collision detection for a program capable of full computer generated imagery movie making.  Not all of us use real cameras or even real humans in our work.  I actually hate working with humans and real world lighting (except for porn!).  Real people all too often just do whatever they want.  Full cgi is far easier to control.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I very much like fractals & the science behind them.

FRACTAL MACHINE

But I think this would only appeal to a very small niche group.   Fractals are not something I use in my daily work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to see a site dedicated to fractals (and the place where the Mandelbulb and Mandelbox were discovered) (not to mention a place many programmers hang out to share ideas and get their programs known to a mass audience) have a look at http://www.fractalforums.com  (full disclosure: yes - I help run that site).

I think there's more room for getting new people into this stuff if somebody could make a program with the right interface.  The math scares people off most of the time, but fractal art is way more prevelant than people realize.

Stock art backgrounds are often fractals.  They are used for landscapes, skies, buildings, smoke, fire, complex surfaces in science fiction tv shows and movies and much more.  In fact, the very basic fractal stuff in after effects is just the tip of the iceberg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 02, 2016 Aug 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I guess I'll put my head on the block so you can all kick it around a bit.

Does anybody else see a need for a font editor / creation tool?

I had a trial of one years ago, but it was super expensive!  I made some fun stuff though.

Once something is in ttf or otf format it can be used in many other programs - yes, even non-adobe programs!

I use fonts in my 3D Software, and (here it comes!) I even have a fractal generator that uses fonts as source material 

I know designers are always tweaking fonts after they are rasterized, but the idea of making one's own has always been fun.

I may be the only one interested in this idea, but maybe not.  I suppose the best way to find out is to mention it here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines