• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Would like communities help (not computer or adobe related)

Engaged ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love plants but blimey, I'm woefully ignorant of their names. Viewing these pictures can anyone place names to the plants. Would be much obliged if you could. Thanks. Oh yea, and please don't say "grass" or "tree" as I'm not that dumb.

DSC00003.jpgDSC00001.jpgDSC00004.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Thanks Kat, thanks Nancy. A friend of mine saw the pictures and agreed with both your responses. She was also able to name the little plant left of the Philodendron as a "Mother In-law's Tongue" and also the plant with the Philodendron as possibly "Purslane" but she wasn't to sure. Anyway thank you both for your help I can sleep peacefully now.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2017 Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't really look like the plants we called milkweed, unless there are more varieties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a lot of them.

https://monarchbutterflygarden.net/milkweed-plant-seed-resources/

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I think of as milkweek.

Image may contain: plant, tree, outdoor and nature

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you mean the green stuff, Chuck, that looks like Chalk Stick or Ice Plant.

I don't know what the gnarly dead stuff might have been.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No the stuff in front of the ice plant.

Catus Cowboy, that last one looks like a poinsettia.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please keep us posted as on the east coast we are having a crisis with Monarch Butterflies as their resources are being destroyed... I am planting seed of he plants that attract them but I am so much in the woods that my efforts are very, very small....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope you're not feeling pestered by these inquiries of plants names Nancy. Your responses have been most welcoming. at least for me I have a chance at hearing from you which I enjoy very much:) I'm really enjoying all the pictures and talk of all the different plants and photography with friends so here's one more please.

IMG_0001.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Impatiens:  part sun, part shade loving and come in a wide variety of bright colors. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's an impatiens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay great! I'm writing these down btw. How about this one?

IMG_0008.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Poinsettia.  You should begin to see some nice red leaves in time for Christmas.  But don't pick them like you would flowers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW, your phenomenal at this Nancy...one more maybe, it's not in great shape but maybe you can take your best guess at it.

IMG_0007.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rub your fingers on the leaves, does it give off any fragrance?

It might be an herb like marjoram or oregano.  Or it could be some kind of ground cover.   I'm not really sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right it's very pungent a herb for sure. Could be either one as I don't use them in my cooking but I would if I just knew what type of food you'd use them with. But you nailed it; it's a herb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use in Italian sauces, soups, salads, pizzas.  Marjoram and Oregano are from the same family.  I use them interchangeably in recipes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Geepers, just heard that Jim Neighbors aka Gomer Pyle and Goober passed away. Dang, there's another memorable person gone. RIP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is a lily of some sort. I know I have to repot it soon as it's getting way too big for the one it's in now.

IMG_0005.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a spider plant.  It sends off runners with smaller spider plants and occasionally it blooms little white flowers.  It's more like a tropical grass.

Learn About The Care Of Spider Plants

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well here's the last picture of the day. I call him Owlie and he's been around for sometime. He has a little sensor and when you walk past him he hoots about three or four times. He sits by the gate as sort of a door chime. Thanks Nancy it's been fun.

owlie.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh sure, anytime.

I used to have a fake toad that croaked when his motion sensor was triggered.  It scared the hell out of my cat .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Dec 01, 2017 Dec 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a grass- something like the New Zealand grasses. If it is this it is very hardy and does spread and is tough but not super invasive. I love grasses and there are many!

Just read Nancy's remark- could be but there are no runners and it seems hardier than a spider plant--- but then anyone's guess...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a Spider plant that we always seem to put outside a touch too early, and kill off the tips.  I see we have left it indoors this year, and it is thriving.  It's been 30°C the last couple of days, so maybe my Chris will put it outside soon.

Blenheim regularly gets the most sunshine hours in NZ, but we are by no means the warmest area, which is Northland up above Auckland.  What we get though, is days warm enough to wear a t-shirt outside from 10am till 3.30 to 4pm in the middle of winter, and maybe a few degrees of frost over night.  This is apparently ideal for the grapes.  Whatever it is, things grow like you wouldn't believe here.  In our borders that have automatic irrigation, and sometimes things thrive that really shouldn't.  This Bird of Paradise (Strelitzia reginae) is very rare this far south.

...but it appears this wee overhang is enough to keep the frost off.  We never cover it.  Chris cleared the border in the background ready for replanting.  Another few weeks will see this completely covered!

Nancy mentioned an Avacado.  Chris had this rooting in a glass of water for ages before potting it outside where it must have got pot-bound because it stopped growing.  After replanting it in this irrigated border it suddenly went crazy with new growth.  It's difficult to take in how quickly things grow here.

Both this palm, and the Cabbage tree were put in as small plants when we moved in to this house 12 years ago.  In fact we planted two of the palms at the same time. This one in a hole in the concrete path, and another in an exposed border.  The other did nothing, but this one seems to love the heat that the concrete absorbs.   I don't know what we'll do when it lifts the concrete.

There are like balsa wood, and you could probably cut one down with a bread knife.  Kiwis think of them as weeds, but they felt exotic to us, so we planted a few.  One we stupidly put in front of the kitchen window, so that had to come down.

This is a Marlborough Daisy, which normally grows in rocky ground at altitude, but here again, it seems to like the concrete path.

I am not sure what this is called, but I would want one stuck up my nether regions

It's early afternoon and damn hot and sunny here right now, so it was not the best time to take photos, so they are a bit harsh and over contrasted.

[EDIT]  It is pretty dry here this year (nothing like as bad as California's recent drought) but we are lucky to live right above the most productive area of the Wairau aquifer.  That's our house bottom left, and all these properties have their own wells.  A single deep well in this part of the valley can irrigate a huge area of vines, whereas just six kilometres west of us, the aquifer is less than one tenth as productive.   This makes where we are the most expensive agriculture land in New Zealand, and it is considered a fluke, and under questionable circumstances, that the developer got consent to build residential properties here.  Apparently they went through as accommodation for vineyard workers.  Yeah right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My brother lived in Hawaii and when I would call him and ask how things were going he'd answer saying "just another day in paradise". New Zealand must be another one of those paradise zones as well. Is it expensive to live there being both places are islands, everything has to be shipped in which must add to the cost.

Beautiful pictures you posted especially of your home it's really a spacious looking property. All those lovely tropical plants; just wonderful must be a chore to keep it up though. What's the lowest temperature you get down to where you reside? Hey, thanks for joining in and posting all the pics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Cactus+Cowboy  wrote

Is it expensive to live there being both places are islands, everything has to be shipped in which must add to the cost.

There are just over a million people living on the South Island, which is like the population of Rhode Island living in an area the size of Illinois, plus the roads are shite.  For instance, the Kaikoura Earthquake is still causing huge detours and nearly twice the distance to get from Picton (which is where the ferry terminal to the North Island is) to Christchurch.  So we have the opposite of economy of scale, so we pay through the nose for most things.

It could be worse.  Norfolk Island, for instance, has 1.7 million people on an island equidistant from Brisbane and Auckland, but has no port, so has to ferry cargo from ship to shore on Lighter boats.  Everything costs a fortune there.

http://www.norfolkonlinenews.com/NON%202014/2014-11-21/bus-unloaded-11-November2014.jpg

But yes it is lovely living here, and I would never want to go live in England again.

As for temperatures, I swap the odd email with Benjamin (who we haven't seen for a while) and find myself complaining about the cold when it is about 10°C (50°F) here.  Benjamin lives in Cedar Rapids where it gets down to -30°!!!    So I guess it is what you are used to.  I can remember visiting the Florida Everglades once.  It was lovely and we were wearing shorts and t-shirts, but the locals had long trousers and jumpers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 04, 2017 Dec 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took this one with my Illustrator camera 16 billion megapixels. Can you name it (Nancy...anybody?)

elephant_ears_by_cactuscowboy-dbvrd35.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines