Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

WRONG !!! [Forum etiquette]

Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WRONG !

Do you answer posts in Adobe or other forums?

I am often tempted to answer that, in capital letters and even not smiling smileys.

As English is not my native language, I am curious to read from other types of answers like:

- I beg to differ...

- Simply not true...

- If you believe that...

- Nonsense! / Crap ...

- Urban legend...

- don't believe those self-promoted gurus!

- may I suggest to look at the issue in an other way?

- Don't believe XXXX or YYYY. They are spreading idiotic misinformation in their sites. (good one to bypass moderation...)

- " Sutor, nec ultra crepidam " (I prefer "bonum vinum laetificat cor hominum", but when I think about how many users will rush on Wikipedia...)

- Can you substantiate your (legitimate) thesis by logical reasoning, forum metrics, marketing shares, possibly some common sense?

- So, you have been programming for 50 years? / you are a retired IT manager? / You are a [Microsoft / Apple / Google] expert consultant?

- Incorrect use of language. According to the 'Oxford dictionary...'

- Sorry, the Adobe link you have been given is [missing / not updated/ not relevant to your software ]

- ??????????

- Common misunderstanding for newbies!

- No, color management is easy!

- Yes, Lightoom is in the cloud.

Other suggestions very welcome.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't get it...can you be more to the point, maybe a little more concise. It this a question or a rant or both?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Cactus+Cowboy  wrote

I don't get it...can you be more to the point, maybe a little more concise. It this a question or a rant or both?

Is this another suggestion to add to my list ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There you go; you've answered your own question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Untitled-1.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those all seem negative and hostile to me. The biggest one thing I've learned in all the years I've been teaching and speaking about Adobe products all over the world, writing books and hundreds of articles, and, more recently, authoring dozens of video courses on Adobe products for Pluralsight, is that no one knows everything. I've been called "expert," "guru," "master," and similar things, and even carried official titles branding me as an Adobe Expert, Adobe Community Expert, and Technical Lead for [several Adobe products]. With all my experience and knowledge, I still learn something new about Adobe products and, especially, how people use them, every day.

It's better to keep an open mind that someone else knows something you don't than to look for ways to say "you're wrong and I'm right."

Of course, there ARE such situations. Someone recently recommend 100% of all four process colors as the best formula for Rich Black, which, by any experienced measure, is wrong. In such cases, I try to state my opinion backed up by evidence and maybe a little bit about my experience to lend credibility to my opinion. At the same time, I do try to allow that, however unlikely in even the most extreme case, the opposing viewpoint might be just as valid.

I typically say, things like...

• I understand your point, but my opinion is...
  • I disagree because...
  • That's a new method/use/idea to me, I've always done it/seen it done this way...
  • I think you'll have better results if you...

And so on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I typically say, things like...

And so on.

Saying things politely does not prevent to hurt one's interlocutor.

One must simply give one's reasoned answer by ignoring those that are contrary, do not deviate from the question asked and never respond to provocation. Otherwise it will soon look like Facebook.

In the end it is up to everyone to make an intelligent and reasoned opinion but nothing more can be done for congenital idiots and lazy brains.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you answer posts in Adobe or other forums?

Yes.

I only answer this question because I do not understand the following.

My knowledge of English is not enough, and that of Google Translate either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will correct spelling in a hyperlink or code but that is the only place... even then I tend to add it as a mod without removing the old one

in my country "colour" = correct for blue, yellow and green but "color" is correct for html code ... when we say "bugger" it is wow or Gwiz, not the act of sex from the back end and "safe hanz" is not a good thing for your kids

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ussnorway  wrote

I will correct spelling in a hyperlink or code but that is the only place... even then I tend to add it as a mod without removing the old one

in my country "colour" = correct for blue, yellow and green but "color" is correct for html code ... when we say "bugger" it is wow or Gwiz, not the act of sex from the back end and "safe hanz" is not a good thing for your kids

Just for the fun of French speakers, do try the automatic translation .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Back to the original topic.

when I reply to a post that I "Know" to be Incorrect I stated that, that the response I'm replying to is Incorrect, and then go about giving the correct information. I do this as politely as possible.

I try not to use any derogatory remarks like you posted in you first post. I must add this is sometimes very hard for me as a call a Spade a Spade 99% of the time in my Real Life.

I was once told "you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar". My reply was Vinegar works just fine for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2017 Dec 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Just+Shoot+Me  wrote

I was once told "you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar". My reply was Vinegar works just fine for me.

This line totally cracked me up (and I've heard it thousands of times without a second thought before!}

This past summer we had fruit flies and got rid of them with apple cider vinegar. So...as it turns out, vinegar works fine for me, too. Literally.

How to Get Rid of Fruit Flies - 6 Ways to Kill Fruit Flies

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm brutally honest sometimes and say way what I think.   But I try to keep it on topic and remain polite & professional.

A recent example:

Re: Can't cancel Creative Cloud

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a conundrum for sure... if your first thought is a snarky response I think its best to step away from the computer and have a cup of tea or go for a walk or just breathe. Folks out there are at such different levels of technology savvy... do what you can to do the most good. If I've rolled my eyes so far up in my head at a question it prompts me to actively look for  another question perhaps in a different forum that I might be able to answer productively. I do remember when I must have been (might still be) one of those idiots asking the most basic of questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2017 Dec 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks all for your insight and for taking the time to provide answers...

Apart from Cactus Cowboy (who gave me my preferred answer), you are all ACPs and you all missed my point which is my fault. I apologize for not being clear.

As discussed today in another Adobe forum, the tone of discussions requires moderation... and moderation sometimes need some discussions. In that other discussion, a very true fact (non only an opinion) is that written conversation does not convey your mood and your intention (what JR_Boulay has perfectly understood - "différents langages, différentes cultures, différent humour ")

I have been following this forum from the start and never dared to start a discussion. I did hope that this unique open forum would draw more non ACPs to chat freely about non technical issues. I did hope to get the feelings of normal users about the different behaviours in various forums; I wrongly assumed that picturing the most common styles of answers in most forums would make you smile or even have a laugh . (JR_Boulay: d'accord, ce ne sont pas les caractères de La Bruyère ni la tirade du nez de Cyrano ; très mauvais).

It's not the first time my intentions are not understood in forums.

Of course, it's easy for all of you to check my profile and my activity to see what is my own style to answer questions. I have never got a remark from moderators or other peers. What I did not realize when posting here was that your answers would help me in taking a decision I was procrastinating. I have been suggested to ask for being a moderator. Now I understand better why I suspected it would be inadequate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2017 Dec 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moderating of forums is mostly a job of moving posts from a general interest forum like this one -- The Lounge -- to another  product specific forum where the OP will receive better answers.    I don't like to edit posts unless it contains sensitive personal information or objectionable remarks that might offend other users.  

If you have been invited to be a moderator, accept it with the understanding that you do not have to participate in moderating duties unless you have the time and inclination for it.   I do it when I can.  But I don't do it all the time.

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2017 Dec 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

English Moderators, please, please, edit and correct all typos and mispellings that makes non sense when translated to other languages.

I do it often for French messages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JR_Boulay  wrote

English Moderators, please, please, edit and correct all typos and mispellings

Not that easy.

I live in the U/K, Nancy lives in the USA, and even though in general we both understand each other, the spelling and grammar used in both contries can differ beyond what most people think.

In a recent discussion in the Dw forum this was very well illustrated in that one poster thought they had been insulted, but the poster of the remarks thought they where just plain speeking.

Nancy suggested a film called 'Arrival' to illustrate misunderstandings, and it is probably a good recomendation for everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

I live in the U/K, Nancy lives in the USA, and even though in general we both understand each other, the spelling and grammar used in both contries can differ beyond what most people think.

That's right.  Everybody spells funny except in the USA

But seriously, we're all guilty of typos & grammar mistakes.

JR_Boulay

From where I sit, moderation does not include spelling & grammar checks.   Sorry.

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JR_Boulay  wrote

English Moderators, please, please, edit and correct all typos and mispellings that makes nonsense when translated to other languages.

I do it often for French messages.

JR_Boulay, please suggest this to Tricia and Caroline to put this word out to all moderators. It never occurred to me, and I think it's a great idea!

(I removed the space when quoting you to make "nonsense" one word. That's a small start!)

I think typos should be clear typos, such as misspelled words—never rewriting sentences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whose spelling though?  I speak and spell in English, as it is spoken and spelt in England. But that differs from U.S. English in many words, including "spelt".

There is also a danger that a poster raises a question and, instead of reading an answer, has his/her spelling errors corrected. That would annoy me considerably.  The forum already has a spelling checker which highlights words when typing. I would leave it at that.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have long since stopped wasting my time on these kinds of questions!

I just let the community appreciate ...

I just have a council [and a rule of conduct]:

Avoid saying nonsense! [with or without smiley, with or without translation problem] ...

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point, @davescm. I was thinking of the glaring ones which are obvious misspellings, but you are absolutely correct that it could go wrong!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem is, a lot of people don't use the spell checker. It is easy to misspell a word when typing and so this is where the spell checker comes in real handy. However, rather than checking for typos and making sure the message is clear they just press send!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to correct grammar and typos on another forum on which I am a moderator.  I sometimes used to PM those who posted typos and grammatical errors instead of editing the posts.

I no longer do that unless the error causes the statement to be incorrect.

grammar police.jpgdd5f0be72bac1ef0693eb30361f042b2--good-grammar-grammar-humor.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines