• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

1/72 point ratio for "Optima" font?

New Here ,
Apr 13, 2015 Apr 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased an Adobe font Family "Optima."  It is my understanding that the standard ratio that font fall under is 72pts = 1 inch.  But when I lay out my signage, that isn't true.... I get 103.66pt = 1 inch (optima).    Am I missing something here?  Can someone explain this to me???  Please....

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 13, 2015 Apr 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly what are you measuring?

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2015 Apr 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the capital “H” as my measurement…. In Illustrator, I set my guides to one inch. Then I place the capital letter H (optima) into the area and the increase its size until I reach one inch. Which the point sizes at that time is approx.. 103pts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2015 Apr 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The size of a typeface is not measured with a capital letter. It is the difference between the higher point of a lowercase ascender (i.e l, b, d…) and the lowest point of a descender (j, g, q…) that indicates the size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2015 Apr 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines