About Variable Type - Experiences

Guide ,
Nov 05, 2017 Nov 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find this new type technology wonderful, and expected it with curiosity.

But there are some oddities that I'm wondering about.

As you probably know, Windows 10 Creators fall update supports variable fonts.

Microsoft delivered the Bahnschrift.ttf as an example font with one axis for width.

This font is installed in the Windows/Fonts folder. It is displayed and with full functinality usable in Illustrator 2018 and Photoshop 2018.

In older programms (including down to 1998!) you at least see and can use the 5 variation steps.

The new Adobe fonts are hidden in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CC 2018\Support Files\Required\Fonts. They can't be installed in the fonts folder of Windows, they are rejected as invalid font files. Therefore they are visible and usable in Illustrator and Photoshop only.

Now for DECOVAR font.

I installed it in Windows/Fonts.

In Illustrator all goes well but Photoshop crashes when just the mouse pointer touches the font name in the font list.

The older programs see only the standard version, not the variations. Ok, with this font I didn't expect more, because there are no definitions like "Bold" or "Light".

Then I moved the Decovar from Windows/Fonts to Illustrator's font depository.

This time Illustrator is happy as before, but Photoshop dosn't see it at all.

I think there's still much to do before these new technology will be more than just a little funny experience.

Fenja

(The forum doesn't allow me to answer Mike Gondek's input)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?