• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Arabic Not Calling Final Form of Arabic Text?

Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2013 Jul 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I'm setting a journal that's mostly in English but has one article in Arabic. I'm using InDesign CS5.5ME and am using Adobe Arabic 2.006 for the Arabic text.

I have a situation in which it appears that InDesign is reading a diacritical in the middle of a word as an indication that the word has ended.

In the screen shot below, you can see that the heh that ends each of these four words is preceded by a dal with one or two diacriticals. It appears that the intervening diacritical is causing InDesign to assume that the word is finished, and so It's setting the heh using its isolated form. What my editor is telling me is that the heh needs to be set using its final form.

Screen Shot 2013-07-08 at 4.42.08 PM.png

When I change the font to another font with Arabic characters—say X Davat or Times New Roman—the heh correctly takes on its final form.

This leads me to believe that some instruction in the font—perhaps related to the diacritical—is incorrect. The settings in InDesign appear to be correct (otherwise, the problem would appear in other fonts, too). Can anyone else replicate this problem? Does anyone know if Adobe Arabic 2.007 fixes this problem (assuming it is a bug)?

Thanks for any help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 24, 2013 Jul 24, 2013

Thanks for your help, Miguel.

For anyone monitoring this thread, Miguel helped me discover that InDesign was loading an earlier version of the font. While I thought that I had loaded v2.006, I actually had not, so InDesign "found" a version and loaded that instead. I'm still trying to figure out from where it was loading the older version, but now, when I am certain that I have loaded version 2.006, InDesign correctly constructs the words using the correct characters.

To find out what version of t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 09, 2013 Jul 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you please post the text that is displayed in the picture. I'd like to make some tests on my end. Thanks.

Miguel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2013 Jul 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Miguel

Sorry for the delayed response; busy work week, and e-mail problems caused me to lose your message.

I've pasted the text below. I tried to attach a Word doc, too, but that seems to be forbidden (or I just couldn't figure out how to do it). If you think having that will be useful, let me know, and I can try e-mailing it to you.

Thanks for any thoughts.

m.

رَدَّه يرُدّه، وشَدَّهُ يشُدّه

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 17, 2013 Jul 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't reproduce it. I tried InDesign CS4ME and CS6ME on Windows, and CS5.5 with WRC enabled on Mac and I always get the round heh with Adobe Arabic version 2.006.

Can you make an IDML file and e-mail it to me? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2013 Jul 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure. I've got the INDD CS5.5 ME file and an IDML file zipped up and ready to send. Where do I send it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 24, 2013 Jul 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your help, Miguel.

For anyone monitoring this thread, Miguel helped me discover that InDesign was loading an earlier version of the font. While I thought that I had loaded v2.006, I actually had not, so InDesign "found" a version and loaded that instead. I'm still trying to figure out from where it was loading the older version, but now, when I am certain that I have loaded version 2.006, InDesign correctly constructs the words using the correct characters.

To find out what version of the font was actually used in my document, I opened the Find Font dialog box and clicked on the more info button--a feature I had overlooked in the past but will rely on a lot from this point forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines