• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe fonts for commercial use? Need license?

Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2011 Apr 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am using Illustrator CS5 and need to design a logo for print.  However, I was wondering if someone could please shed some light on whether or not I am allowed to use one of the Adobe fonts that came with my application for commercial use such as a logo?  Also, what is the difference between the Adobe fonts you can purchase here on this web site versus the fonts that come installed with AI CS5?  Would I necessarily have to purchase a license on Adobe.com to use a specific font for a logo?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Apr 27, 2011 Apr 27, 2011

You certainly may use any of the fonts bundled with Adobe applications for a logo or similar static content. You may also embed the font in the resultant PDF file or EPS file that you create for the logo for placement in other content. What you cannot do is give out the font file itself to others. By having the font embedded in the PDF or EPS (PDF is the preferred format, by the way), you avoid any such problems or limitations. Note that this is true for Adobe fonts, but not necessarily fonts fr

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 102 Replies 102
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The language in our license terms regarding font modification is referring to modified font files -- not any changes to outlines.

All fonts under an Adobe font EULA can be converted to outlines in software like Adobe Illustrator, and those outlines can then be changed and used in designs and other documents -- to make a logo, for example.

Font modification, on the other hand, is changing the font itself -- including things like modifying or adding glyphs, or changing spacing -- such that the modified font you install and use on your system contains those changes. Not all fonts can be modified in this way; they are identified on our "Additional License Rights" page.

If you modify a font, using it counts toward your permitted number of license "seats". Our standard EULA allows a font (original or modified) to be installed and used on up to 5 computers.

Regards,

Christopher

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dov,

Thanks so much for your help, you are a champion.

I hope all is well over your way.

chat later

matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2018 Jun 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dov,

I'm extremely confused when readin this thread- wondering if you can help me out. I've made a logo using Futura font, which I believe is one of the fonts that comes with the Adobe CS6 package. Can I use this logo for my business or will I need to purchase a license for the font to do so?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 01, 2018 Jun 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No version of Futura has ever been bundled with Adobe applications.

For Windows, neither Windows itself nor Microsoft Office bundles any version of Futura.

For MacOS, I believe five faces of Futura (Medium, Medium Italic, Bold, Condensed Medium, and Condensed ExtraBold) are bundled with MacOS in OpenType TrueType format.

Since I don't know where you obtained or licensed your particular version(s) of Futura typefaces, I cannot comment on whether the font's license permits any particular use. You would need to track down its source and enquire of that source as to what rights you have in terms of the font's use.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have Illustrator CS4 can I use the included fonts to create stock Images? Or which of them can I use?

best regards

Cordula

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, as long as you create an artwork on it's own and do not distribute the fonts.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See also here: Re: Adobe fonts for commercial use? Need license?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Corel Draw came with Futura fonts on the PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And in terms of whether or how you can use such fonts bundled with CorelDRAW, you must read and observe whatever licensing restrictions are in the EULA for CorelDRAW from Corel itself.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! As with all the data...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dov, I have a similar question but it doesn't concern anything digital or printed. I'd like to use one of the Adobe font (Bauhaus 93) for a physical commercial product that will be sold internationally. What are the limits of the font license in this case?

Thank you

Lae

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alas, Bauhaus 93 is not an Adobe font. It is a URW++ font most often installed on Windows systems by various Microsoft applications. See Bauhaus 93 font family - Typography | Microsoft Docs for details as well as licensing information. Sorry, but Adobe can't otherwise assist you with this.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops! thanks Dov for your quick answer and help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dov,

I created a logo using Myriad in CS5 (I know, its old ). I talked to customer service and they said since I purchased the program that I have to license to use for commercial use. However, the customer would like to use the logo for their website. This is fine right? Because the logo will be a static image with the fonts outlined.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you may use the font in a commercial logo and even embed the font in a .PDF or .EPS version of that logo. What you can't do is provide the font file itself to the customer. For web use, you can either use vector outlines in SVG or rasterize the whole logo.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Dov. What about a .psd file for web use? I'm just double checking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.PSD files are unfit for web use, but that is not dependant from Adobe. You may use, however, Ps for creating your picture, save that as PNG, GIF or JPG and publish that picture on your (client's) site.

You can also send the client the PSD, so that he can independently from you modify whatever he wants to modify. The customer (or his subcontractor), however, needs to acquire the font licenses if needed.

In a nutshell, you can consider fonts like programs. You can sell artwork based on them, but you cannot give away the programs as a bonus. Same for fonts. The PDF with the embedded font can be printed by the customer but the customer cannot be given access to the font so that he can create new artwork with that font.

Some fonts limit the use very strictly and do not allow embedding. They are quite useless in my eyes. The licensing terms give more information on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2013 Mar 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dov,

I've called, emailed and posted in the type forum but still can't get a straight answer so I'm asking here. Can I embed an Adobe font (ITC Avant Garde Gothic) in a HTML Adobe AIR desktop application? This application does not allow the user to download or manipulate the font in anyway. Essentially it falls under the Preview portion of the license.

Thanks for any help you can give on this matter.

~Brad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, not Dov, but I think I can help, because I've asked Adobe the same question before, just not in this forum.

See response #2 in this post: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5133917#5133917

Basically, the EULA allows you various embedding rights for documents, but apps are a different animal, and not covered by the Adobe EULA. They have mentioned that they are working toward having an app license you can purchase in the future, but I don't believe anything is available yet. I know it's restrictive for designers, but system fonts are your friend in these situations, really.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best answer yet. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brad, what do you mean by "HTML Adobe AIR" app? An AIR app is Flash-based, not HTML.

And ITC Avant Garde is owned by Monotype, not Adobe -- although we do sell licenses for it through our Type Library and Font Folio. It's important that you know from whom you licensed it and what the license allows, because another vendor might have a EULA different than Adobe's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2013 Mar 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can build AIR apps in HTML:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AIR/1.5/devappshtml/WS5b3ccc516d4fbf351e63e3d118666ade46-7ecc.html

Nowhere does it say that ITC Avant Garde Gothic is owned by anyone else. Where did you get your info from?

http://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/store/html/index.cfm?store=OLS-US&event=displayFontPackage&code=1768

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also in my type server the foundry for ITC Avant Garde Gothic comes up as Adobe Systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For your information, Christopher Slye is a long time member of Adobe's Type Development organization and he does know what he is talking about!

ITC, currently owned by Monotype, licensed its styles to a number of different foundries, Adobe being one of them. When you license any ITC font from Adobe, a royalty is paid by Adobe to Monotype. Your use of the font is subject to the EULA (End User License Agreement) from Adobe. However, if you licensed the font from Bitstream, Monotype, ITC, or other vendors, you are subject to a EULA which may be (and probably is) very different from that of Adobe.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines