• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe fonts not accessible in Word 2011, Word 2016 for MAC

Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2015 Mar 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe fonts don't appear correctly in new Word 2016 for Mac (and there are problems with Word 2011, too).  For example, I have Adobe Garamond Regular, Bold, Italic, and BoldItalic installed (I had uninstalled Semibold and SemiboldItalic because I wanted the "Bold" to appear as Bold and not Semibold when selecting "Bold" in Word). But in Word 2016, when selecting Adobe Garamond, there's no true bold or true bold italic when I select "Bold" and/or "Italic" (nor is Adobe Garamond Bold listed as a separate, standalone font in the menu)-- only regular and italic.  Same thing with Adobe Caslon Pro.  I've had similar issues with Word 2011 for Mac -- oftentimes the true Bold and BoldItalic for Adobe Garamond won't work.  But I can fix the issue by trashing the Office 2011 font cache and then restarting Word.  I can't seem to identify any such workaround for Word 2016.  (I realize this sounds like an Office or Mac issue, but it only happens with Adobe fonts.)

Interestingly, if I reinstall Adobe Garamond Semibold and Semibold Italic, Word 2016 will give me true Semibold and SemiboldItalic when I select "Bold" and "Italic" in Word.  But true Bold and BoldItalic are nowhere to be found.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Have you tried contacting Microsoft about this since the fonts obviously appear in FontBook, Adobe applications, and applications other than Office without a problem. The fact that clearing the Office 2011 font cache seems to eliminate the problem for you there would be indicative of this being a Microsoft issue, not an Adobe issue.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried contacting Microsoft about this since the fonts obviously appear in FontBook, Adobe applications, and applications other than Office without a problem. The fact that clearing the Office 2011 font cache seems to eliminate the problem for you there would be indicative of this being a Microsoft issue, not an Adobe issue.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2015 Mar 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  I've contacted Microsoft.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2015 Oct 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a very similar issue to this: Opening a previously-made word document that uses Myriad Pro in Word 2016 works fine; saving the document and opening in Word 2011 causes a font substitute on the Myriad Pro; Word 2011 claims the font isn't on the system.
I have deleted and rebuilt the font caches without joy.

Prior to installing Office 365 I had no problems with Word 2011 recognising the font.

---

Fix: I was enabling fonts with FontExplorer X Pro (v5.02) - I turned off the font there, moved the files into Library/Fonts and they immediately showed up in Word 2011.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm using Microsoft Office 2019 and I still got this problem. I cleared the font cache but the fonts still didn't show up in Office's menu. But then, I found the solution here: Issues with fonts in Office for macOS - Office Support.

If you have a large number of fonts installed on your system, Microsoft Office apps may not be able to load all the fonts. This causes some fonts not to appear in the font picker. You can work around this by setting the fonts you need that do not appear as prioritized fonts.

It seems that I installed too many fonts. Well, the solution of prioritizing some fonts worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines