• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Garamond Pro stops working on my Mac

New Here ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So years ago, I bought Adobe Font Essentials, which included Adobe Garamond Pro. I have an iMac Pro. About a year ago, I added Creative Cloud which also included Adobe Garamond Pro. They've worked the whole time. I've also got a separate Creative Cloud license on my work computer. Anywho, today I jump into Microsoft Word and my Adobe Garamond Regular, Italic, and Bold weren't working. It was defaulting to Adobe Garamond Semi-Bold or something. I went into my CC account, pulled up fonts, and it showed a red dot next to the Garamond Pro fonts that weren't working. I tried to reactive them but it said there was a duplicate on the system. So I went into my system and moved the Adobe Garamond Pro OTF files from the Font folder to another folder. I was then able to "activate" those fonts. But it still didn't work. The system says they are activated, but they aren't. Something similar is happening on my work computer too. The same Adobe Garamond Pro fonts don't work. Help! This is my go too font that I use for everything at work.

Thanks,

Tomas

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Aug 15, 2020 Aug 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tomas,

If you've previously licensed the Adobe Garamond Pro font family either separately or as part of a package such as the Adobe Font Essentials and you have those fonts properly installed on your system, absolutely don't activat them with the Adobe Fonts Service.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2020 Aug 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dov. So I'm thinking now that Microsoft Word is the problem. It looks like a new version was pushed out recently by Microsoft and I think that broke the Adobe Garamond Pro (and Caslon) font for some reason.

When I go into Word on my iMac Pro it only thinks there is Adobe Garamond Pro Bold on my system for some reason. When I try to manually select Regular or Italic or Semibold it ignores my request and still shows only Bold (with a checkmark next to it indicating that only Bold is available). I also just noticed that it is doing the same thing with my Adobe Caslon Pro typeset. No matter what I do, it thinks there is only Bold on my system. Garamond Premier Pro works fine. Importantly, when I use the Apple Pages app, Adobe Garamond Pro works fine, as does Adobe Caslon Pro. So it seems that Microsoft Word, for some reason, likely do to a new update they just pushed out, caused it to break the full function of Garamond Pro and Caslon Pro. 

I then tested everything again on my work laptop, which has NO fonts activated through Creative Cloud. It only has the Adobe fonts I purchased spearately. Same thing happens. Adobe Garamond Pro and Caslon Pro are bold only in Microsoft Word, but they work normally in Apple Pages.

I'd appreciate any help you might be able to offer in tracking this problem down with Microsoft.

Best,

Tomas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines