• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ANNOUNCE: ATM 4.1.2, fixes certain 2000/XP issues

Enthusiast ,
Jul 25, 2002 Jul 25, 2002

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a new patch for ATM for Windows. There are separate updaters for ATM Light and Deluxe, to update them to version 4.1.2.

The ATM Deluxe update is at: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=1553

The ATM Light update is at:
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=1552

The updates address the following issues:

1) Uninstalling ATM 4.0 on a Windows 2000 or XP system causes the system to no longer be able to install Type 1 fonts. This is a Windows bug, which ATM 4.1.2 works around.

2) Uninstalling ATM 4.0, or 4.1, or 4.11 on any Windows platform causes PFM files to be left unassociated with the system font applet preview page. ATM 4.1.2 associates PFM files with the system font applet instead of ATM; uninstalling 4.1.2 thus causes no problem.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2003 Feb 19, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. I do have ATM Light 4.0 and it doesn't recognize the fonts. It did when I was running Win 98, but not with XP. It says:

An error occured while trying to show sample sheet. Does that mean I need ATM 4.1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got it to work. When I installed ATM 4.0 on my new machine, it created a folder called PSFONTS in the root directory. I copied the font files to that and they would work. When I directed the ATM to the original folder, it found them all.

Thanks so much for the help. I really appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You shouldn't use ATM4.0 on XP. It does seem to work sometimes, but it's not certified to run on that OS and causes problems when it's removed. Change to ATM Light 4.1.2 (which is free) or ATM Deluxe 4.1.2 (which costs). (Again, you need ATM Light on XP only if you want support for multiple master fonts. Otherwise, it does nothing at all.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2003 Feb 23, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

If/when I go to Windows XP, it will be a totally clean install on a new computer!!

WWP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2003 Aug 17, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just installed ATM Deluxe 4.1 (dated May 2000 - I am not at my home XP machine to give the build number). I will apply the 4.1.2 updater tonight.

So far so good, except that installing ATM 4.1 caused Windows' display fonts to go gibberish, which I fixed by guessing where Control Panel/Display was and resetting the fonts. Fortunately all came good again.

Has this gibberish happened to others, or is ATM just picking on me?

Or is this an indication that something is wrong in the fonts department on my PC?

A techie did change the font display using my video driver rather than Control Panel, so this may have caused the temporary hiccup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is nothing that ATM itself does that could change which fonts are used by Windows as its display fonts. ATM really does relatively little within Windows 2000, XP, and/or Server 2003.

However, if in the process of rearranging fonts and their locations from within ATM, you disturb any of the Windows sytem fonts (Arial, Times New Roman, Tahoma, Verdana, Wingdings, Microsoft Sans, Marlett, etc.), conceivably, the symptoms that you saw could occur.

Bottom line is that you should not attempt to physically move or manage the TrueType system fonts that come with Windows. Don't ph*ck with them!

By the way, the ATM 4.1.2 update is irrelevant to this issue.

- Dov :asleep:
- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, on my machine, the installation of ATM did mess up Windows' display fonts, whether ATM itself did something or not.

It happened the first time I installed ATM. Aware of possible problems when uninstalling ATM, I nevertheless decided to take it off and I got the display fonts back.

Later, I took a deep breath, and installed ATM again. Same result: gibberish. This time I persevered and, after restoring the display fonts, successfully installed a number of Type 1 sets. I did not move any TrueTypes to ATM. I uninstalled most Type 1s before installing ATM.

I did not disturb any of the so-called essential TTs, so that doesn't explain the phenomenon. However, I have noted an inconsistency in Adobe's listing of essential TTs. In the ATM user's guide, Arial and Times New Roman are not listed, but in a readme file installed with ATM, and in your response, they are. Adobe needs to clarify this for users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 18, 2003 Aug 18, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> However, I have noted an inconsistency in Adobe's listing of
> essential TTs. In the ATM user's guide, Arial and Times New Roman are
> not listed, but in a readme file installed with ATM, and in your
> response, they are. Adobe needs to clarify this for users.

Actually Arial and Times New Roman are not essential unless the user has selected one or both of them for use in default states of Windows dialog box settings (Display control panel).

I frequently have these turned off for weeks at a time while I work in documentation using only Type 1 fonts so that the TrueType ilk don't sneak in. To ensure my dialogs are not affected, I set them to use either the bitmapped variety (MS Sans Serif) or TrueTypes that I leave on at all times (Verdana, Tahoma (the default)).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2003 Aug 18, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Tim. What you say ties in with the ATM user guide list. If the user hasn't nominated them as display fonts, then they are not essential. Heaven knows why my display fonts went crazy after installing ATM, though. All the 'essentials' plus Arial and Times New Roman were available to Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2003 Nov 05, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Type Manager will not allow my Toshiba laptop to hibernate.
Are any fixes available?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 05, 2003 Nov 05, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly what version of ATM do you have installed? It sounds like a symptom of running ATM Lite or ATM Deluxe 4.0 under either Windows 2000 or XP. Windows 2000 and XP are incompatible with ATM 4.0. Install the "patch" on the Adobe Downloads website, uninstall 4.0 and then install 4.1.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2004 Apr 08, 2004

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar problems with a Dell notebook and XP. Removing ATMHELPR.SYS from the windows\system32\drivers folder lets it hibernate and suspend. I was getting an error message blaming the keyboard driver. This file is supposed to help recover on reboots when font files are corrupted and I hope, if necessary, I can boot the system in safe mode without having this file.

The version info of ATM from Help>About... is:
EXE: 4.0 Build 90 Lite Jun 17 1997 13:40:02
DLL: 5.1 Build 225

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 08, 2004 Apr 08, 2004

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your case, you improperly used ATM 4.0 ( not 4.1) on Windows XP. The behaviour is not unexpected.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2003 Nov 19, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ATM 4.1 Deluxe WIN 2000 PRO

Hi Adobe,

Got into problem with ATM Deluxe 4.1
Can't start the app.
I tried all things mentionned in support and forum
!!!

so what,
regards
and thanks 1000000000000000000 times for your help
arnaud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2004 Aug 12, 2004

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Windows XP. Several months ago, I purchased and installed Adobe Type Manager Deluxe 4.1

My concerns are 1: fonts in C:\PS fonts and also C:\Windows\Fonts.

2: I cannot access any of my Minion fonts; although they are listed in both folders and appear in the ATM window (cannot select and activate them).

I will attempt to move all fonts to a CD and then try to access them from the CD, via ATM. Any other suggestions?

Thank you.

Jeanette
jnakada@neb.rr.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2004 Dec 17, 2004

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The so-called fix for Adobe Type Manager and Windows XP does not work on my machine, a Dell with Pentium 4. I'm really tired of futzing with this. Doesn't Adobe have a new ATM that's actually meant to work? I can't use some of my fonts that we picked a year ago for a specific project. Short of suing Microsoft and Adobe, what avenues are open to me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2004 Dec 17, 2004

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does work.

What exactly is your problem?

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 18, 2004 Dec 18, 2004

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a guess. You have ATM4.0 Deluxe and are thinking that by running the 4.1.2 patch it will update your 4.0 version to 4.1 first, then to 4.1.2. If this is your thinking, then, no, the patch won't convert 4.0 into 4.1 and it has never been claimed that it would. Going from 4.0 to 4.1 is an upgrade and you will have to pay for it. The patch available here is a bug fix for use after installing 4.1 (or for when you have mistakenly installed and removed 4.0 on an XP or W2K box). But, as Bob says, ATM4.1 Deluxe and Light do work on XP and W2K (but Light adds very little - only support for MM fonts).

If this is not your problem, try explaining to us exactly what it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2004 Dec 18, 2004

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's pretty much what I had figured, too. Just a note that I thinks
it's a bit deceptive to even call 4.1.2 a patch. It's really more of
registry repair than anything else.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2004 Dec 19, 2004

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. Considering the number of queries we've had along these lines in the past, perhaps the blurb above could be changed to something a little clearer for those not that familiar with ATM. The references to uninstalling ATM4.0 followed by installing the 4.1.2 patch may be confusing people. Likewise, the line that "There are separate updaters for ATM Light and Deluxe, to update them to version 4.1.2." could explicitly mention ATM4.1. I don't think it's unclear myself, but I acknowledge that it's been a problem for some.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2005 Feb 08, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the link to ATM light for Windows
doesn't work now.

Is that unavailable now?

Thanks!

Pat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2005 Feb 09, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pat,

Are you referring to the links in the posting that started this thread? If so, they are working fine for me. You may want to try them again.

L.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2005 Feb 27, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize this is very old stuff but it seems the place to ask my question...

I just got a new XP machine (Pro SP2) and am migrating over from my old W98 machine. On the W98 machine I have ATM Deluxe v 4.00 (date, uh, 1996!). A set of PostScript fonts came with it. I also bought two other PostScript font package back around that time as well. I recall that back them Adobe tech support told me to first install of that that and all the PS fonts, and THEN install PageMaker (I'm now running v 6.52) and PhotoShop (I'm now running just Elements v 2.0).

I'm told that XP has its own type management and you no longer need ATM. Is that true? If so, should I ignore ATM and ignore the patch mentioned above in this thread? Do I still need to install all the Adobe PS fonts BEFORE installing PageMaker or PhotoShop Elements on the new XP machine (oh, I have Acrobat too... Distiller 4.0 and Reader 6.0).

(On a minor note, I really only care about a small number of all those PS fonts I bought. I suppose the thing to do is install them all so I can see the list and them remove the ones I know I'll never use. Again, do I ignore ATM and just use XP's font management features for doing that? For that matter, will it let me see them before I install and let me just install the ones I want?)

THANKS!

Jay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2005 Feb 27, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

XP has native support for Type 1 and OpenType fonts. In that regard you
don't need ATM. However if you have a large number of fonts, a font
manager should be used to activate and deactivate fonts as needed.

That said, under no circumstance should you attempt to install ATM 4.0.
Only ATM Deluxe 4.1 should used.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2005 Feb 28, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should check the compatibility for ALL your software. PageMaker
6.52 is not suitable for Windows 2000/XP.

Aandi Inston

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines