• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Are fonts in Adobe/Microsoft copyrighted?

Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2010 Oct 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering if anybody knows for certain if fonts included in Adobe and Microsoft programmes are free?  For example, I am designing a logo for a company.  Can I use one of the fonts on Illustrator, eg. "Baskerville Old Face" without somebody saying I nicked the font?  Are all the preinstalled fonts allowed to be used by anybody for anything?

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

What do you mean by free?

If you mean by free that they are public domain and that you can do anything you want with them, no, they are not free!

In the case of fonts that are bundled with Adobe applications, you may use those fonts on the computer on which you have installed the software with which the fonts are bundled. You may embed such fonts in PDF, EPS, and PostScript files generated by that software and distribute said PDF, EPS, and PostScript files to others for display and print. For exam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by free?

If you mean by free that they are public domain and that you can do anything you want with them, no, they are not free!

In the case of fonts that are bundled with Adobe applications, you may use those fonts on the computer on which you have installed the software with which the fonts are bundled. You may embed such fonts in PDF, EPS, and PostScript files generated by that software and distribute said PDF, EPS, and PostScript files to others for display and print. For example, you may use Myriad Pro Bold (bundled with the Creative Suite programs) in a logo, export the logo to PDF, and distribute that PDF version of the logo to the entire world for them to view, print, or even use the logo as part of another creative work.

However, you may absolutely not distribute or use the fonts otherwise. For example, you cannot simply give the font files to a friend.

Similar restrictions apply to fonts distributed by Microsoft either as part of Windows or with their applications such as Microsoft Office.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, when I said free I meant did I have to pay extra for a license to use them for commercial work.  But I think you've answered my question, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines