• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Arno font & oldstyle figures

New Here ,
Jun 18, 2008 Jun 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(If I've posted in the wrong forum, please point me in the correct direction)

I have Arno Pro font as the result of my purchase of Photoshop CS3. I really like the font face, but I thought a old style figures was part of the Arno Pro family. Yes, No?

If that's not part of Arno font that came with Photoshop, how do I get the oldstyle figures?

Joe

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out the Character Panel, top right corner, click for menu and check the opentype attributes

Les

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I failed to mention that I'm using a Macintosh under OSX. The menu bar item that you're referring to is Character Palette, right?

When I launch Character Palette, I can select "View: All Characters," and in the list that comes up ("Punctuation, Symbols, European Scripts, etc.") I can choose "Numbers and Number Symbols" and pick a number in the adjoining section. This will produce (at the bottom of the panel) a list of all fonts that contain the number I picked, giving the name of the font and that particular font's result for the number (that I picked). Damn, that sure is an awkwardly worded explanation.

I sure was wishing it'd be something simple like in my Minion Multiple Master where I just selected the font named Minion MM Small Caps & Oldstyle Figures.

Has anyone found the oldstyle figures in ArnoPro?

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joe

No, what you're looking at is the OS's Character palette, I'm talking about Photoshop's Character Palette (I think Adobe changed the name to panels in this release). So, to clarify, whilst in Photoshop go to 'window' menu and make sure 'Character' is ticked, now find the panel on your screen and in the top right corner of that panel is a little downward pointing arrow click on that and you will see the opentype options for your font.

HTH
Les

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I can tell, Arno Pro has ONLY old-style figures. The 6 rises
above the average numeral height, while the 3, 4, 5, and 9 descend
significantly below the baseline.

Looking at the complete character set (with Fontlab), the only other
number sets are superscript and subscript.

If you add Wck to Arno Pro, you get Warnock Pro, which does have a
separate set of old style figures. They're sized to coordinate with
the small caps.

- Herb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Herb

No, Arno Pro has a full complement of figure styles: proportional, lining & tabular

Les

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Les wrote:

No, Arno Pro has a full complement of figure styles: proportional,
lining & tabular

Les -

Oops. Yes, right you are. I was looking at an older preliminary version.

For Joe -

Except for positions 0-9, they are not Unicoded - the name ranges are:

Oldstyle Tabular 0-9
Small Oldstyle Proportional zero.o - nine.o
Lining Tabular zero.w - nine.w
Tabular Lining slashed zero zero.aj
Small Oldstyle Tabular zero.v - nine.v

These are in addition to superscripts, subscripts, and
fraction-forming numbers.

- Herb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2008 Jun 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate all the help, and I know I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I just don't see it. Let me ask it differently:

If I were typing a document using Word or NeoOffice with the ArnoPro regular font selected and wanted to type an oldstyle figure, how do I get that oldstyle character to appear in my document? Must I select a different ArnoPro font? I mean, what is the name of the ArnoPro font to select (the word processors show about 32 different ArnoPro fonts) and what key stroke(s) are necessary--simply the numbers of my keyboard?

I know I misunderstood Les' original post, i.e., I was thinking the OSX finder and not Photoshop. But even when I follow Les' advice (within Photoshop), I do not get oldstyle figures.

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are 2 entries from the Photoshop help files:
Apply Opentype features
and
Character palette overview. The opentype features are accessed from a menu that is revealed when you click on the triangle just above the font style selector labelled "H"in the screen shot in this entry. It's not too surprising you didn't find it!

I'm not sure what opentype features you can get at from Word or NeoOffice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re: I'm not sure what opentype features you can get at from Word or
NeoOffice.

If Word on the Mac is anything like Word in Windows, the answer is Not
Very Much. It does a reasonably good job with Unicode language support
including right-to-left languages, but nothing else.

IF glyphs are unicoded, then you can access them via the built-in
Windows Character Map (Charmap)utility, but if they are not, then
Charmap doesn't see them at all.

The Adobe applications that fully support opentype on the mac work
equally well in their windows versions.

- Herb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Herb is correct; the oldstyle figures are accessible in applications that support OpenType advanced typography (including many Adobe and Apple applications), but not in Word.

See the OpenType User Guide for Adobe Fonts for more info:
http://www.adobe.com/type/browser/pdfs/OTGuide.pdf

Cheers,

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines