• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ATM Deluxe compatibility with Windows 7 64 bit?

Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2014 Jan 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've happily used ATM Deluxe 4.1 (build 243) with Windows XP SP3 for many years and am about to upgrade to Windows 7.

Has anyone successfully (re)installed ATM under W7? (32 or 64 bit) I'd like to continue using ATM, rather than going to a 3rd party font manager & recreated my various font sets.

Intel Core Duo CPU @ 3 GHz + 4 GB RAM; NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT video card.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Sorry, but ATM is totally incompatible with any 64-bit version of Windows (including Windows XP). It is also incompatible with all versions of Windows beyond Windows XP 32 bit (such as Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.x).

Don't even try installing it. Even if you think you've succeeded, you may find that you have “bricked” your OS and would need to totally reinstall it.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but ATM is totally incompatible with any 64-bit version of Windows (including Windows XP). It is also incompatible with all versions of Windows beyond Windows XP 32 bit (such as Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.x).

Don't even try installing it. Even if you think you've succeeded, you may find that you have “bricked” your OS and would need to totally reinstall it.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the 64-bit side, what Dov said.

On the 32-bit side, it is quite possible to hack an ATM install it on Vista, and not even very hard. I actually documented it on behalf of Adobe back in the day. I don’t know it if would work or blow up on Windows 7 or 8, and given that we don’t know, there is a real risk of damaging your OS.

(On Vista 32-bit, all you had to do was copy over the installed ATM files, and the app would run just fine. You just couldn’t run the ATM Deluxe installer on Vista.)

Of course none of this is supported or actively recommended by Adobe or me. Even the 32-bit Vista hack was “this appears to work, try it at your own risk.” Though I ran it myself for several years with no trouble. 

Frankly, the ONLY reason I would even try such a thing today is if I or somebody desperately needed the ability to create and use Multiple Master font instances. That is the only thing you totally can’t do with anything else, and itself might or might not work with current apps, even if the functionality worked in ATM Deluxe. I am pretty sure Adobe apps removed MM support years ago, not so sure about third parties, including Windows itself.

So there you go. If you are in the market for a font manager today that is actively developed and maintained, there is always our product here at Extensis: Suitcase Fusion. (Or for client/server needs, Universal Type Server.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Dov and Thomas for your replies - much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I for one would be very curious about the results of copying an installed ATM Deluxe app from XP onto (32-bit) Windows 7 and/or 8, as I did with Vista. But I sure would not try it on an install I cared about at all! If one had a spare VM image to duplicate and test on, that would be the way to go.

Mind you, even if it appeared to work I wouldn't swear it would never cause problems later—just too untested!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2014 Feb 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My version of Windows 7 is 64 bit Pro, so I won't risk attempting an installation of ATM on that machine. However, I'm going to install Ubuntu on an older desktop and will give it a try on that one. Will try to remember to report here whether or not I'm successful 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ATM is not Linux-compatible!

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I meant to say I'd try installing ATM within a virtual install of XP within Ubuntu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 16, 2014 May 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I am now running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and installed Extensis Suitcase Fusion; gradually rebuilding my font sets. That's going mostly ok.

However, I did discover some important files that used Multiple Master fonts (e.g. titles for art fridge magnets). I can't afford to purchase replacement fonts for all of them, but I could go back into my old XP desktop machine and convert the titles to outlines, resave and then bring them back into my newer Windows 7 machine. But then I have to reinstall a second, older version of Illustrator on the older machine.

Not a big deal, but I wonder if I risk "bricking" my Windows 7 OS if I were to try installing ATM through the Windows Virtual PC & Windows XP Mode? It would be more convenient to cut and paste from within the same machine.

(btw I haven't yet had time to install XP in VirtualBox within Ubuntu to test an ATM installation in that environment.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do NOT even think about it!

ATM will not run on XP 64-bit at all and it could be very risky trying to install it on the XP-mode of Windows 7.

Your time is worth a hell of a lot more than the cost of replacing some ancient Multiple Master fonts with OpenType fonts.

– Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, thanks for the advice. I'll stick with Plan A then and avoid any contact with the 64-bit machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines