Can you remove the windows fonts folder from Adobe software?

Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2019 Mar 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To follow up on the post I started :Re: Can you remove the windows fonts folder from Adobe software?

I can't find the reply button, so I started a new tread, my only option is to start a new one.

I'm not using Extensis Suitcase Fusion anymore, I have a license from 2 years ago but can't upgrade, the only option is to buy a new license every year.

I'm not going to do that because it doesn't motivate software developers to improve solutions.

The only reason I have to buy a subscription from Adobe is to be compatible with other customers and I have no other choice.

The only reason I have to buy a new version from Extensis is because I need the plugin for the new version of Adobe CC.

In windows 10 there is an option to activate or de-activate fonts, this feature works even in ... !! NOTEPAD !!

I have de-activated all but 5 fonts in the fonts folder of windows and only those fonts show up in notepad.

The most basic piece of software around with an executable size of 189Kb which is even a software where fonts don't matter.

So I wonder how comes that the graphic industry giant Adobe, who devoured everything else on the road to supremacy, is not able to use this feature.

Also I did a search on "fonts" on my system and I found to many fonts folder to count under adobe folders.

So it seems Adobe is trying to provide lot's of options to the user to customize font locations, but isn't able to do anything decent with it.

We are dumping thousands of dollars each year in software (and fonts) but the ergonomics of the solutions is ... I couldn't invent it any worse.

I mean you have to be very creative to create solutions that bad. It seems like a trend to create chaotic non-userfriendly stuff these days.

When I look back at the software we were using in the nineties, my god that was a good time. We had:

- FTP, now we have one million clouds (obscuring the sun)

- BBS, forums and emails (without spam) for communication

- Fixed prices for software and developers eager to create good stuff.

Now we have subscriptions for software that doesn't improve, pop-ups in our face every 5 seconds, millions of emails we don't read and features we don't want that are imposed upon us. I'm literally wasting 1/3 of my time making stuff work, everyone is complaining about it. I'm just lucky to be able to figure out solutions, the rest out there is mostly drowning in chaos.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 07, 2019 Mar 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear you were not happy with Suitcase Fusion or our other Extensis products. However, I have a couple of suggestions for you.

First, I would recommend reading our Font Management Best Practices Guide for Windows (using the link below):

https://knowledgebase.lizardtech.com/hubfs/Font-Management/Documents/Windows-Font-Management-Best-Pr...

Finally, I would recommend looking for a font management tool that allows you to do what you want (maybe without the cost). I cannot imagine dragging fonts to and from the Windows/Fonts folder is not a good solution for your workflows. And, it is costing you valuable time (which equals money).

You may want to Google or see if other users have suggestions for other low cost or free font management options that might meet your needs.

Thank you again for your past patronage!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 08, 2019 Mar 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, while you're willing to pay Adobe, you aren't willing to pay the plug-in developers who have to work constantly to keep up with Adobe's changes - so you just want to make Adobe richer and small developers should happily help, for free, Adobe get richer too? I find it strange that people are willing to pay for the work for "new features" as in new buttons and gimmicks, but aren't willing to pay for the "new features" of supporting new systems and apps. Both of these require investment, time and money. If your customers want you to rework a design for a new magazine size, but don't want to pay because there's nothing new or creative in that, how would you reply?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2019 Mar 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Who said I am willing to make Adobe richer, I quote myself:

"The only reason I have to buy a subscription from Adobe is to be compatible with other customers and I have no other choice."

You said it right, "I find it strange that people are willing to pay for the work for "new features" as in new buttons and gimmicks"

I understand that professionals who are working with thousands of fonts need a pro solution like suitcase fusion. It's a good solution that allows you to easily manage the fonts and reduce the list to a digestible quantity in Adobe software. 120€ for a new license and 60€ for an upgrade (yearly) for a professional is fair. I promote supporting software developers to my customers (all the time) because I understand the complexity and the workload they have to deal with. In my business RIP-software developers have a yearly turnover between 6 and 12 million Euros ( a medium sided print company makes about the same). That's very small compared to the rest of the business, while they are providing a service that allows the whole industry to make billions. So I literally tell all my customers to bathe the software developers in money so that they can engage more people and provide even better solutions, so that the printing companies can make more money by loosing less time.

However I use very few fonts and don't require to often change the list of available fonts. The font manager of windows would suit my needs perfectly. I have no quarrel with suitcase fusion. I don't understand however why Adobe is not supporting the enable/disable fonts feature that is integrated in Windows 10. Obviously I'm not alone complaining about this, many people have been complaining about this over the last decennium or so.

Meanwhile I found a solution which I won't put on the web as it would break the OS for many people. I removed the read-only attribute of the fonts folder and all fonts within, backed-up all fonts, checked which fonts are required and deleted the rest.I now have a clean short list of fonts in every program I use on this computer.

The solution for most people should be either (or both):

- In windows you have a folder with system fonts and user fonts. You can activate and de-activate fonts at which point they get copied or removed from the user fonts folder. Problem solved.

- In Adobe you have an option (users love essential options) to not use the system fonts (use the user fonts if MS solves internal chaos), and use or not the fonts in:

- "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts\"

- "c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CC 2019\Fonts"

- "c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019\Fonts"

- Etc.

Edit (addition):

- Use only the activated fonts in windows 10

Professionals who are dealing often with different fonts would still need, and I would certainly recommend/promote, a font manager like Suitcase Fusion. As a consultant customers often ask me, or a propose, solutions for various problems. Most customers and myself notice as time goes on that solutions become less logical, ergonomic and user-friendly while prices go up, subscription based licenses the only option and competition absorbed my the industry giants (so no alternatives). I understand subscription based licenses because at some point software becomes very mature (or should) and doesn't evolve much, while companies need to survive. Still there is room for development of completely new software solutions and certainly also to adapt the software to specific applications. Postscript is still causing huge issues in print applications and the Adobe postscript interpreter (blackbox) is far from perfect. Other solutions like Aurelon PS engine work better while they are developing from guesswork.

In Illustrator/photoshop there are still some of the most basic features like gradients, coordinates (rounding errors) and fonts that could be improved. This post is about Fonts.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines