• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Custom Font - Minion Greek

New Here ,
Jul 27, 2011 Jul 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a program called MathType that can only use a couple fonts for its greek symbols. It can't find the greek symbols in the Minion font, even though they are there.

Would it be possible to create a new font and just map the Minon greek symbols to the "regular" locations (i.e. alpha would go in the "a" position)? That way MathType might work?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remapping glyphs to other locations in the font tables can be done using font programs like Fontographer. However, doing so will not solve your problem unless you put the Greek symbols exactly where MathType expects them to be.

I would think your best first step, if you haven't already done so, would be to contact MathType tech support and ask why the program is not finding the Greek symbols in Minion, and how to solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

Unfortunately this is a well known shortcoming of MathType. Their response is to use the 1 other set of greek symbols, which looks uglier. The say they are planning OTF support in the future.

I just purchased a program called TypeTool to see if I could get it to work. It "almost" does. By remapping the fonts, I can get Office and Adobe products to recognize it. *However*, MathType won't even list this new font in its possible options (it lists Minion and others that I install). Now I am stumped. Why would other packages see the font, but not MathType. I even tried it another program called MathMagic and it sees the new font.

I even took a step back and created a duplicate font of just Symbol, but renamed it. MathType doesn't see that either 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 28, 2011 Jul 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you map the Minion Greek symbols into a duplicate copy of one of

MathType's fonts that includes those symbols, replacing each of MathType's

Greek symbols with the same symbol from Minion? Then at least you'd have the

Minion Greek symbols where MathType expects to find them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2011 Jul 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is my assumption.

However, I am stuck at the first part. I should be able to read in the Symbol font and create a copy and have MathType recognize it. But it won't, perhaps an encoding issure or something. Don't know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 29, 2011 Jul 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me first re-state something you included a link to in your postjavascript:; in the InDesign Forum -- we plan on including full OpenType/Unicode support in a future version of MathType. We don't have a timeframe for this, but we know this is a feature that's important to a good many of our customers. (As you know, we support a subset of these fonts now.)

Having said that, I'd like to take a look at any custom font you've created that re-maps the Greek glyphs from Minion Pro, and isn't working in MathType. There could be some additional tweak you could make that would make it work, or perhaps it will help us see a particular "font issue" that we didn't yet know existed. Either way, I think it would help.

If you wouldn't mind doing this, please email it to me directly -- bobm at dessci dot com.

Bob Mathews

Design Science

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 31, 2011 Jul 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bob,

As a long time Mathtype user (and an ancient beta-tester [that is from one eons ago]), welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. Glad to here that OTF (by that I hope you mean Unicode support) will be coming one day. Integration with InDesign, FrameMaker and Dreamweaver would be very very nice if you could swing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines