• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dante font used in manuscript … when I try to save as a pdf document in Microsoft Word whole pages change their look, with wide gaps forming between certain paragraphs or sections. This does not happen with other fonts.

New Here ,
Oct 30, 2014 Oct 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dante font used in manuscript … when I try to save as a pdf document in Microsoft Word whole pages change their look, with wide gaps forming between certain paragraphs or sections. This does not happen with other fonts.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system?

What version of Microsoft Word?

What version of Dante - the older Type 1 version or the OpenType CFF font (Dante Std)?

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, Dov,

Windows 7

Word 2010

I just got Dante yesterday, it's OpenType CFF (Dante medium).

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That information helps.

One more question, if I may…

Exactly how are you producing the PDF file? Are you using Acrobat's “Save as Adobe PDF” or are you using Microsoft's “Save as PDF?” There is a known problem with Microsoft's PDF in that they don't embed OpenType CFF fonts and don't properly reference them for purposes of letting Acrobat or Reader use a host-based version. (I am working with Microsoft to at least fix this bug in Office 2013 - whether they will or not, who knows?)

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, Dov,

So that might be the problem. I'm using Microsoft's save as pdf. So I should look into Acrobat's feature, or are there known issues with that?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, we've got it!

What is happening is that when you use Microsoft's save as PDF in Word, the font isn't embedded even though the font is tagged to allow embedding. Furthermore, Microsoft doesn't properly put the font name into the PDF file such that Acrobat or Reader can readily find the font installed on your system such that the text can be properly displayed and/or printed. Acrobat and Reader attempt to display and/or print the text using a “substitution font” and of course, as they say, YMMV (“your mileage may vary”)!

I personally submitted the report of this problem (both the embedding and the font name problem) to Microsoft. They acknowledge the bug, tried a fix and provided me a build with it, but it wasn't right. Maybe they will ultimately fix it, maybe they won't. We don't know yet. We do know that if it is fixed, it will be fixed only for Office 2013 (problem occurs with all Office applications since they use the same PDF generation code) and thus such a fix won't help you.

Adobe Acrobat Standard and Acrobat Pro  both provide an Adobe PDFMaker plug-in to Office applications (including full support for Office 2010) that adds an Acrobat Toolbar as well as a Save as Adobe PDF menu item. The resultant PDF file fully supports embedding of OpenType CFF, TrueType, and Type 1 fonts and in many other ways produces much superior PDF with a full range of PDF generation options not available with the Microsoft PDF. (Note that beginning with Office 2013, Microsoft does not support Type 1 fonts in Office documents at all, even for existing documents!) The Acrobat Office functions are widely used and respected in the end user community and whatever “issues” there are (all software has “issues” of some type - it is a matter of how many and how severe), you should be in much better shape for PDF production that with what you currently are using.

Good luck and let us know if this resolves your problems. (Note that you can download and install a free fully-functional 30 trial of Acrobat Pro to assure that it meets your needs! You can then buy a license and activate what you already have installed.)

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey, Dov,

Thanks!

I'll give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines