• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Distiller failed to PDF a .ps file. Arial not found, using Courier.

New Here ,
Jul 16, 2008 Jul 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lately I have been getting an error Arial not found using courier when I try and Distill using any of the job options.

I am printing to file from Wordperfect, Pagemaker, and Word.
I have no choice in changing it to a more sophisticated program, as I work in a organisation that needs to edit documents in Word afterwards.

Can anyone help me with how to get distiller to actually make a PDF?

I am using Windows XP, have CS3 Suite loaded, Adobe Pagemaker 7.0, ATM 4.1 lite, LIB: 5.1 Buikd 226, DRIVER: 5.1 Build 226

I use truetype fonts, Symbol fonts and postscript fonts.

ATM does not have Arial listed as active, would this be it?

What does Create multiple masters mean in ATM?? Does this have anything to do with PostScript Font Metrics Files (.PFM,.MMM) ???

PLEASE HELP.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 17, 2008 Jul 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ATM will not create Arial if it is not there. You must re-install ut.
Multiple Masters was a wonderful, but now abandoned technology that
allowed you to create or have fonts of with different features from a
single master font. For example they could have different optical sizes
or weights. I believe this was some of the technology behind the
automatic font substitution in Acrobat when a font is was not embedded
in a pdf file and not available on the viewers system.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But Mike, the Arial font is already loaded on the system and recognised by all packages.

It is truetype and only open type fonts are being recognised in ATM.

Is there a open type font of Arial?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>only open type fonts are being recognised in ATM

ATM Light installs only Type 1, multiple master, and OpenType fonts, because at the time it came out these were not natively supported by Windows. However, XP does support T1 and OT fonts, so many people using that OS find no need for ATM Light at all (very few people use MM fonts these days, though as Mike says, they remain part of Acrobat's technology).

Have you checked that c:\Windows\fonts is listed under Settings>Font Locations in Distiller and that Arial has not been set to not embed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Umm, I can only see opent type fonts in ATM.

I have chneged the location to C:\\Windows\Fonts and instructed it to embed arial.

I am trying to make a pdf from a Corel wordperfect and it is still substituing Arial for courier...like it is instructed to ignore the PDF Settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monica

This would seem to be an Acrobat problem, not ATM. Once fonts are
installed, ATM has nothing to do with what fonts are available to what
applications.

Are you using Adobe's pdf creation or the one built in to Corel
WordPerfect?

What's the actual process you're going through?

- Herb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Around of Applause...I have been grappling with this with the organisations IT for six weeks.

And in one morning I have been able to fix it the Corel Problem from the above advice....Thank you is not enough.

I was printing to Adobe Printer within corel and amending the settings, but failed to add arial to embed within Corel.

Lengthy process but glad it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 23, 2010 Sep 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I am having the same problem with the Acrobat 8 and 9 now. I had created a postscript file using a HP postscript driver and wanted Distill it to PDF. The log file contained the error:

%%[ ProductName: Distiller ]%%

%%[ Error: Arial not found. Font cannot be embedded. ]%%

%%[ Error: invalidfont; OffendingCommand: findfont ]%%

Stack:

/Font

(Arial)

%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%

%%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%

So I spent many hours searching internet and Adobe for a functional answer- none were found. Adobe please make a useful suggestion or provide a functional solution instead of using a "work-around" such as Corel.

Here something intresting information which may help with the diagnosis. In Win XP the font is shown, but in Adobe the "Arial.TTF" is just not shown, maybe that is why it is missing for Distiller.

acrobat_Arial_font.JPG

It would be greatly appreciated if someone can help and if you need more information, please ask.

Thank you --:-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 23, 2010 Sep 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This discussion is better suited for one of the Acrobat forums http://forums.adobe.com/community/acrobat

I think you'll get more help there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines