• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

downloaded .afm font from adobe store .. cannot install ???

New Here ,
Aug 20, 2008 Aug 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys

I purchased helvetica light bold from the adobe store and made sure that I chose the mac font option and after I unzipped the folder it was in a .afm format which I cannot seem to use?

I use Linotype font manager and it tells me there is no usable info in the file?

Pls. help :)

Corey

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2008 Aug 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

corey,

It sounds like you purchased a Type 1 font, not the cross-platform OpenType. AFM (font metric) files are not used by Macintosh for most applications. You do not need to install them. You do need to locate and install the bitmap and printer fonts.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 21, 2008 Aug 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that doesn't help... what are the complete contents of the ZIP
file?

Aandi Inston

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HelveNarBol.AFM

this is the name of the file .. there is a link to supposed directions that say:

Mac OS X has native support for Type 1 and OpenType fonts, which can be installed just like other font type on OS X. However, fonts installed in OS X system locations are not available to Classic applications (see section below). Fonts installed in the OS X native environment can be accessed by (a) any user or (b) just by an individual user.

Only I dont know why I cannot copy and paste or drage the files and have them work....?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An AFM font alone is not a complete font. It is only the metrics, an ASCII file (you can open it in a text editor) that shows the width, kerning, and some other information on the font. There are two other font files that Type 1 fonts use. In the PC world, one is pfm and the other is pfb, if I remember correctly. You need both of these, and not the afm one at all, if you want the font to work. I can't remember the Mac situation, but I seem to remember it also needed two files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don,

Macs only need the printer font(s) and at least one size of the bitmap font. They do not use AFM files (font metrics/true of almost all applications) and there are no "pfm" or "pfb" files.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 22, 2008 Aug 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I remembered the need for two things ... printer and bitmap ... just couldn't place what they were. My brain kept gong back to resource and data forks, from the old Mac OS, but I understand that is all history now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines