• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Finding AFM files for old Adobe fonts

Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2019 May 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently accquired a copy of Adobe Font Folio 8 as part of a lot of old computer software (I collect the stuff, we all have to have hobbies, don't judge) and while the included PFM files work great for using the fonts with classic versions of Windows, I'd like the AFM files to use them on OS/2 and various DOS based programs. Those used to be available on the Adobe FTP site, but there seems to have been a wholesale removal of legacy product support recently? Can anybody help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 18, 2019 May 18, 2019

16 out of those 37 packages (400-436) are MM fonts. These never contained *.afm-files but *.mmm instead. So these are not missing. Most or all of the rest should be in the zip-archive you can download from my MEGA.nz account below.

*.pfm-files contain the combined information of *.afm and *.inf, only in binary format. It is possible to extract the *.afm using the Windows command line app "pfm2afm.exe" (included).

You are lucky having licensed the last FontFolio (v.8) containing the marvellous “Ber

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
May 18, 2019 May 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While you are waiting for someone to provide you with an ftp-link you can copy the *.afm and *.inf files off my old “Type On Call”-CD, if you like. Do not install the CD. Simply navigate to subdirectories of \data\common\psfonts or use your file manager’s search function. While the actual font outlines (*.pfb-files) are encrypted, the *.afm, *.pfm and *.inf are not.

The CD-image "TOC41.iso" can be opened and extracted using 7-zip or Winrar. Follow the link to download it from my mega account. Have fun!

Type On Call 4.1 CD-ROM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. That has the AFMs for packages 1-399, but it's missing info for packages 400-436. Given that the Font Folio 8 CD was nowhere near full, I can't for the life of me understand why they would have left off the AFM files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

16 out of those 37 packages (400-436) are MM fonts. These never contained *.afm-files but *.mmm instead. So these are not missing. Most or all of the rest should be in the zip-archive you can download from my MEGA.nz account below.

*.pfm-files contain the combined information of *.afm and *.inf, only in binary format. It is possible to extract the *.afm using the Windows command line app "pfm2afm.exe" (included).

You are lucky having licensed the last FontFolio (v.8) containing the marvellous “Berthold Exclusive Collection”, fonts with the “BE”-suffix, like Akzidenz Grotesk, Concorde, Formata and Berthold Baskerville. Have fun!

Adobe Type Library Packages 400-436 PFM AFM MMM INF only

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2019 May 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the files. This is certainly one of the gems of my Retrocomputing collection, up there with my Amiga 500. And as a single double wide CD case, it takes up a lot less space. One other bit of Adobe history I'd like would be some of the printed specimens books that Adobe did for some of the Originals back in the 80s and 90s.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2019 Jun 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines