• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font Builder

Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2021 Jul 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As part of the transition away from Type 1 Multiple Master fonts, I have fired up a PowerMac 9600 and installed my Adobe SuperATM software onto it to study them a bit more. I'm seeing an application called "Font Builder" and was just wondering what this is. In the About window it reads:

Font Builder 1.0

Copyright © 1992 Adobe Systems Inc.

Written by Steve Herskovitz

Am I correct in assuming this is some kind of precursor to the Folio or TypeKit service? It sort of looks that way as it is listing fonts that I don't have on my computer in it's simple menu.

Tom

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 31, 2021 Jul 31, 2021

Oh wow!

Indeed a blast from the past.

Font Builder was used in conjunction with SuperATM to create an instance (most particularly, a different size of screen fonts) of a subsitute font from the Adobe Sans and Serif fonts for fonts that were not part of the default database that came with the program. It was pretty weird.

I also remember the days of the first generation of ATM which allowed you to render (as I recall, almost on a case by case basis) a better screen rendition of what would norma

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now there are two blasts from the past: a PowerMac 9600 and Font Builder.

If I remember correctly, Font Builder was a font editor allowing users to design/edit glyphs and publish them to various early font formats like Bitmap, Postscript, and TrueType.  So, not a precursor to font management.

Everyone at CalArts was using Fontographer back then, so I could be confusing Font Builder with something else.  Modern equivalents would be FontLab (https://www.fontlab.com/font-editor/fontlab/) or Glyphs (https://glyphsapp.com).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2021 Jul 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh wow!

Indeed a blast from the past.

Font Builder was used in conjunction with SuperATM to create an instance (most particularly, a different size of screen fonts) of a subsitute font from the Adobe Sans and Serif fonts for fonts that were not part of the default database that came with the program. It was pretty weird.

I also remember the days of the first generation of ATM which allowed you to render (as I recall, almost on a case by case basis) a better screen rendition of what would normally be a maximum 24pt bitmap. I remember using it for the first time for a 100-point drop cap I had in my layout and was amazed at how crisp it was!!

These young kids today don't know AT ALL what we went through.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just had to say "Thanks for the Memories"!!! 🙂

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines