Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font Converter Program

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2008 Apr 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
Does anyone know of an affordable font converter program? I work for a PC based company but at times we have freelance work come in from MAC users. Please let me know, thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TransType from www.fontlab.com (US$179) or CrossFont from www.acutesystems.com (US$45). I don't have recent experience with either, but my guess is TransType might be the better one. Ideally, use OpenType fonts or your Mac freelancers may be able to use PC fonts (depending on app).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both Crossfont and Transtype have strong supporters.

Do NOT convert between formats; convert Truetype to Truetype and Type
1 to Type 1. Other conversions are lossy. Opentype fonts are directly
usable on either Windows or Mac platform.

Note that some font licenses prohibit conversion, some allow
installation on multiple systems only in the same physical location.
There's an infinite number of combinations of license rules. Obtain
and read your (and your suppliers') font licenses.

- Herb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2008 Apr 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you guys for the advice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 24, 2008 Apr 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Of course, there are shareware and freeware fonts out there, for which this treatment would be legal.

But, for retail font licenses, even if the license allows format conversion, I don't know of a single such license that would allow freelancers to give copies of the fonts they're working with to a client/employer. Certainly ours (Adobe's) does not, although in general it is one of the most liberal retail font licenses out there.

If a freelancer does work for you in Photoshop, do you expect them to give you a copy of Photoshop to continue that work? Of course not - you'd license your own copy. It's usually the same case with fonts.

Regards,

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines