Font Folio OpenType Edition

Enthusiast ,
Aug 11, 2003 Aug 11, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Press Release Source: Adobe Systems Incorporated

Adobe Announces OpenType Edition of Font Folio
Monday August 11, 8:12 am ET
New Version Offers the Adobe Type Library in Enhanced Cross-Platform Font Format

SAN JOSE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 11, 2003--Adobe Systems Incorporated (Nasdaq:ADBE - News), the leader in network publishing, today introduced a new version of Adobe® Font Folio(TM) featuring the Adobe Type Library in OpenType® format on one CD-ROM. The Adobe Font Folio (OpenType Edition) product contains more than 2,000 fonts in OpenType format, which allows for richer linguistic support and more advanced typographic control in any print, Web or dynamic media project. Adobe also announced the availability of a new special version with a 10-computer license, making it more affordable for small design shops to access the entire Adobe Type Library.

Adobe and Microsoft Corporation created the OpenType font format to improve cross-platform document portability and simplify font management, by introducing one font file that works on both the Macintosh and Windows platforms. Creative professionals benefit from extended foreign language support and the inclusion of expert typographic glyphs, such as small caps, old style figures and swashes, in many OpenType fonts.

"The OpenType font format is much more convenient than the old Type 1 or TrueType fonts," said David Blatner, co-author of Real World InDesign, InDesign for QuarkXPress Users and Real World Photoshop. "With Adobe's new Font Folio in OpenType format, I love having large character sets in the same font instead of having to work with a whole array of related font files."

Pricing and Availability

The Adobe Font Folio [OpenType Edition] product is available immediately and will be sold primarily through the Adobe store at www.adobe.com, Adobe retail and licensing channels, and includes a standard 20-computer license for US$8,999. License extensions are also available and Font Folio is included in Adobe's transactional and contractual licensing programs. Upgrade pricing from Font Folio versions 8 or 9 to Font Folio OpenType Edition is US$2,499. Adobe is also releasing a special 10-computer license of Font Folio OpenType Edition for smaller design workplaces that is available for US$4,999. International English versions are available where localized versions are not sold.

Full Press Release:
http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/200308/081103FONTFOLIO.html

Product page: http://www.adobe.com/products/fontfolio/main.html

List of all the fonts is here.

More information on compatibility and differences between the OpenType fonts and their Type 1 counterparts is here. Look in the right-hand column for links to the two cross-reference documents, and the font conversion FAQ.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 105 Replies 105
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2004 Jan 28, 2004

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From Adobe's description of the package, http://www.adobe.com/products/fontfolio/pdfs/datasheet.pdf:

Contents:

More than 2,200 typefaces from the Adobe Type Library in OpenType format;
OpenType User Guide in Adobe PDF;
Typography primer in Adobe PDF;
Adobe Type Reference Guide

No mention of ATM Deluxe or Light; no mention of ATR.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jan 28, 2004 Jan 28, 2004

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will confirm that the FontFolio OpenType Edition does not include Adobe Type Manager (either platform) or Adobe Type Reunion (a MacOS 9 and earlier-only product).

- Dov
- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2004 Feb 26, 2004

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can fonts in Font Folio opentype edition be imported and used in microsoft word and powerpoint programs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HD,

As far as I know, I don't think that these apps can access all characters in their expanded charactersets. But, yes, I believe for most general typography there should be no problem.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil....I'm geussing then, by your answer, that I'll only know when i attempt to import a font..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is ambiguous about your question is the word "import"!

One normally doesn't use "import" in association with fonts. Are you asking whether the Adobe OpenType fonts can be accessed by Microsoft Office applications? In other words, can text in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint be formatted using such fonts? OR are you asking whether these programs allow embedding of these fonts if used by the document? In other words, can Word, Excel, and PowerPoint actually store the font within the document when the document is saved if the font is used to format text within the document?

The answer to the FIRST question is "yes!" Text in Microsoft Office applications can be formatted with the Adobe OpenType fonts.

The answer to the SECOND question is "no!" Currently, Microsoft Office only allows embedding of TrueType fonts or TrueType-flavoured OpenType fonts within Office documents if the embedding permissions are correct. The fonts in the Adobe OpenType collection are CFF OpenType fonts, not TrueType-flavoured OpenType fonts.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dov:

Thanks. As you can tell I'm a newbie at this.

To give an example (of me being a newbie as well as why i'm asking). I want to create a daily newsletter as a acrobat pdf. The first and last pages remain the same, but the middle 2 pages changes daily. In the past, I've created those 2 new pages using word (with powerpoint graphs inserted) and then convert the word document to pdf. Questions is, would be able to create the word document (and powerpoint graph) using adobe open type fonts? and would I be able to convert that word doc to a pdf so that the open type fonts remain?

Thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes and yes!

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would I be able to create the word document (and powerpoint graph) using adobe open type fonts?

Yes.

Would I be able to convert that word doc to a pdf so that the open type fonts remain?

Yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 10, 2004 Apr 10, 2004

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops, just noticed a few things that needed correcting.

Earlier in this thread Raphael said that Type Basics OpenType Edition only included "three fully OpenType fonts" (by which he meant having a full set of small caps, oldstyle figures, superiors, ligatures, etc.).

First, Raphael said "fonts" when he meant "font families." So that may have given people an incorrect impression of what proportion of the 65-font collection has all the extra stuff in question.

Second, Type Basics OpenType Edition includes five font families that meet that description, not three. Plus, there are a number of other full-featured OpenType fonts/families in the collection that don't quite meet the description simply because they are not serifed text faces so they are lacking some of the features Raphael was looking for. Bickham Script Std, Caflisch Script Pro and Myriad Pro all fall into that category.

As a side issue, contrary to what Dov said, the "Pro" vs. "Std" distinction is solely about language support. We have some Standard fonts that are quite full-featured, but do not have extended language support. In Type Basics OTE for example, Kepler Std and Utopia Std in fact have all the goodies Raphael was looking for.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming....

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 11, 2004 Apr 11, 2004

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thomas,

Is there a listing of which OT fonts have extended language support. (specifically Cyrillic characters)? I'd like to buy them all. :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 11, 2004 Apr 11, 2004

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure.

http://www.adobe.com/type/browser/C/C_cyrillic.jhtml

Additionally, several of the type families we expect to release within the next year will have Cyrillic support (including the one I'm designing).

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2004 Jun 25, 2004

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where can I find a listing of the fonts in Font Folio Open Type edition?

I've been looking all over adobe.com...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 25, 2004 Jun 25, 2004

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's everything that Adobe had available at the time, which would be almost the same as everything listed on the Web site today, except for just a couple of families--Brioso Pro and perhaps Sava Pro?

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 26, 2004 Jun 26, 2004

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ooh, I'll have to add that to the main item at the top of this thread.

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

T,

I had seen those links posted by Alex and I noticed only "Western Fonts" are listed in his directories. Aren't there any Cyrillic fonts in Font Folio T1, for instance?

I'm just wondering if the listing is complete or nor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 27, 2004 Jun 27, 2004

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only Type 1 fonts on Font Folio OpenType Edition are:
- fonts Adobe didn't have the rights to convert (about 30 or 40)
- symbol/pi fonts, which are present in both Type 1 and OpenType

That handful of Type 1 fonts does not include any Cyrillic fonts. There are quite a few OpenType fonts in the collection that support Cyrillic, however, including Minion, Myriad, Warnock, Excelsior, Helvetica....

Regards,

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2004 Sep 22, 2004

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo,

b I have a serious problem for the Central Europe glyphs.

We have a pubblishing environtment working with file from all over Europe. We have six Macintosh computer all with MacOS X 10.3 installed.
Before buying the Font Folio OpenType, we buy a font a made a test.
We bought Helvetica LT Std.

In the pdf that you can download in the page presenting every single font, you can see a series of accent called "Floating Accent".
For my understanding a Floating Accent could be combined with whatever letter: am I wrong?

That's what we need for creating the glyphs for Central Europe, a Floating Accent combined with some other letters.

There is no way to combine accent and letters in InDesignCS or IllustratorCS.
It appears a box with a X inside in a pink background.

I already try to change the keyboard language, but I get the usual result.

Is there any way to do it?
Somebody has any news?

Thank you
Willie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 23, 2004 Sep 23, 2004

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those floating accents are spacing accents, and don't automatically combine with base letters to create accented letters.

However, quite a few Adobe fonts--all of those that have "Pro" in the name--already have accented letters for central European languages. These should work as expected in InDesign CS and Illustrator CS.

Regards,

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2004 Nov 03, 2004

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Raphael Freeman - 9:14am Sep 1, 03 PST (#6 of 44)

I think I would put it differently. I am not suggesting that Adobe gives freelancers the entire collection for less money. However, I would offer a smaller collection to freelancers.

I would be more than happy to pay $1,000 for such a package....

what do other people think?

Ok now I know this has nothing to do with FontFolio but it's another way to get a lot of fonts for a lot less money.

Buy CorelDraw Suite, there are more fonts in the package than you'll ever need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gabriel,

If you wish to play with the pros, you need pro tools. I'm sure some of the fonts that are bundled with the Corel suite are fine, but....

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I recall, the fonts included with Corel products are all drawn from the Bitstream library (or they were when I bought Ventura), and though they are not necessarily my favourite digitisations, I have no complaints with the quality of any of them (bearing in mind Ramón's comments about Bitstream's treatment of Spanish glyphs). They also supplied them in both Type 1 and TT versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In article <1dea4840.46@webx.la2eafNXanI>,
Dominic_Hurley@adobeforums.com wrote:

> As I recall, the fonts included with Corel products are all drawn from the
> Bitstream library (or they were when I bought Ventura), and though they are
> not necessarily my favourite digitisations, I have no complaints with the
> quality of any of them (bearing in mind Ramón's comments about Bitstream's
> treatment of Spanish glyphs). They also supplied them in both Type 1 and TT
> versions.

There are a few URW and Letraset fonts included with the Corel Graphic
Suite -- and a couple of Corel's own knockoffs, for backward
compatibility with old versions of CorelDraw -- but most of them are
indeed from Bitstream.

--
Odysseus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My point is that the general level of quality is probably higher with the Adobe Folio than with the Corel bundle.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines