• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font Licence use

New Here ,
Aug 06, 2010 Aug 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I use the fonts supplied with Photoshop to design a book cover for publication. This is a commercial use, is this OK.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ken,

If the font is not sent along with the artwork, yes; you may embed it in a PDF, or Layer > Type > Convert to Shapes in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

Would this be the same if i sent a jpg to the publishers. Sorry to be naive its the first time I have been asked to do this type of work.

Regards

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome, Ken.

With a JPEG you reduce everything to a set of pixels, so yes.

But be aware that JPEG is a lossy format: whatever is done to it will reduce its quality.

Which formats do they accept?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the fonts provided with (i.e., "bundled" with) Adobe applications have licenses that allow for embedding in PDF or EPS files.

If you are doing a book cover in Photoshop (not the best tool for that, but doable), to achieve the highest quality output for printing, you should save as a PDF file making sure that you keep text as text (i.e., don't flatten any layers). When you save as PDF, the text remains text, fonts used by the text are embedded in the PDF file, and vector shapes remain as vector. These factors will yield the highest quality for either subsequent display or printing of the content.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could not agree more, Dov.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi both Dov and Jacob

Thank you both very much for your very helpful advice.

Best Regards

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines