• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font (MyriadPro-Light) not available

New Here ,
Sep 17, 2015 Sep 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

font problems.jpgI have an ai file that uses the font "MyriadPro-Light" and when I open the file I get the above font problem message.  I bought the full version of CS6 web and design so I am surprised that I don't have this font.  I have looked through my font files and I do have one called "MyriadPro-lt.otf".  I am wondering if I am getting this problem because the font filenames are slightly different (i.e., "Light" versus "lt")?  Part 2 of my question would be...if this is the reason for the problem, how do I fix it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Simply stated, the Light weight variants of the Myriad Pro font family are not bundled with any of the Adobe Creative Suite configurations. If your Illustrator document is referencing this font, it must have been created on a system on which Myriad Pro Light was separately licensed. It has nothing to do with “Light” (a weight) versus “It” (the italic style).

What are your options at this point?

(1) Separately license this font <Buy, download fonts | Adobe Type> either with a perpetual license or v

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving the discussion to Adobe Type

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume you know that my post should go to the discussion ADOBE TYPE.  Now I will just wait for an answer to my post.  Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simply stated, the Light weight variants of the Myriad Pro font family are not bundled with any of the Adobe Creative Suite configurations. If your Illustrator document is referencing this font, it must have been created on a system on which Myriad Pro Light was separately licensed. It has nothing to do with “Light” (a weight) versus “It” (the italic style).

What are your options at this point?

(1) Separately license this font <Buy, download fonts | Adobe Type> either with a perpetual license or via subscription to Typekit. (Note that Typekit access is provided for Adobe Creative Cloud subscriptions.)

(2) Change references to Myriad Pro Light to some other typeface you have access to with similar characteristics (sans serif, light weight, etc.).

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 20, 2015 Sep 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simply stated, the Light weight variants of the Myriad Pro font family are not bundled with any of the Adobe Creative Suite configurations

But they HAVE been Dov, as the following page attests to (Standard Disk Set):

Fonts included with Adobe Creative Suite 5 and 5.5 | Adobe

it even prompted me to check my old install disks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 20, 2015 Sep 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question was with regards to CS6, not previous versions. None of the configurations of Creative Suite 6 (either suites or individual applications) had Myriad Pro Light bundled. See <Fonts included with Adobe Creative Suite 6 | Adobe>.

Yes, as you noted, previous versions, CS5 and CS5.5 did have these fonts bundled. However, if the OP in fact licensed and installed such versions, created documents using said fonts, then upgraded to CS6, those installed fonts would have remained on their system. Adobe uninstallers do not remove any installed fonts. It is also possible that the OP received documents originally created on a system that CS5 or CS5.5. Alternatively, the document came from a user who separately licensed Myriad Pro Italic.

In retrospect, one could obviously argue whether we should have removed any fonts from the fonts bundled with the CS products. But that is water under the bridge at this point four years later. I did provide options for licensing this or other fonts that may be “missing” with CS6.  In addition to those options, one could upgrade to the Creative Cloud Subscription in which Typekit access is included providing immediate access to Myriad Pro Light.

My personal belief is that if you need a typeface for a graphic arts project, you should not rely on fonts that may be, previously were, or could be available via an on-line service being available when you need them. License them, install them, and most importantly, keep backup copies of the fonts (and the licenses/receipts that you receive when you license the fonts). The same is true for any other digital asset necessary for your projects, whether those be clip art, stock images, ICC color profiles, and/or Pantone swatch books.

- Dov

PS:  I was not involved in the decision as to what fonts to bundle with what products when!!!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just experienced the same problem! Having used Creative Suite for years and Myriad Pro having been such a staple sans serif font, I have hundreds of documents using all variants. Having recently updated my Creative cloud Indesign to 2018 I am now being prompted that Myriad pro light is unavailable. This is the first time this has happened. prior to 2018, the font was still present post updates. I have checked my Extensis Suitcase Fusion and updated this from version 7 to version 8 with the latest plugins and am still getting the same missing fonts messages having been assured by their tech team that this would solve the problem.

I have always updated when prompted and before Creative Cloud, I bought the updates and installed them. I am disgusted that such a decision should be made, given that there are so many of us genuine Creative Suite users who have loyally purchased all upgrades, I am now forced to make the decision to change all of my client's files dating back years to a different typeface, or purchase at great expense, copies of the face that I have had on my system since 2005, having spent thousands of £ over the years. Why on earth aren't all the variants available free to use on Typekit for all Creative Suite subscribers, having been previously bundled - I cannot see why some are available and then the likely variants that designers use most all have to be separately purchased, surely we pay enough as it is!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Carol,

Please read my previous responses in the thread above.

The fact is that Adobe's installers and updaters never, repeat never, repeat yet again never removes any system, user-installed or even application-installed fonts that were installed in MacOS-defined system or user font directories (or on Windows, the Windows font directory or any user-specified font directory. FWIW, I have the full Myriad Pro family installed on my MacOS system. The update to the 2018 version of InDesign CC did nothing to remove the Myriad Light or any other fonts from my system.

That having been said, the only fonts that might be removed would be fonts that would have been installed to or moved to Adobe application version-specific directories (which is generally not recommended - if you do such font movement, you should at least keep a copy outside of said directories). If you had fonts in such directories and then deleted that version or versions of the applications, it is possible for fonts or anything else placed in such directories to be deleted during an update.

An easy fix for you is to go to your system backups and retrieve the Myriad Pro Light font and any others that were deleted somehow. Then you wouldn't need to modify any of your client files. You do backup your system, correct?

- Dov

PS:     There was never a time when all variants of Myriad Pro were bundled with Adobe applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines