• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fonts disappear after reboot

New Here ,
Feb 21, 2019 Feb 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm transferring files, software, fonts, etc. from an old Windows 10 PC to a new Windows 10 PC. There are a handful of Type 1 (postscript fonts) that I've loaded but disappear after a reboot. All TTF and OTF fonts are fine.

I've tried repeatedly reinstalling them (PFM files) a number of different ways and they're fine until I reboot. Then they're gone. When I reinstall, I get a message that they're already there. I click install.

I've looked at the windows/font directory through the command prompt and the files aren't there.

I don't understand how in one Windows 10 PC they're fine but not in a second PC. The old PC was up to date on upgrades.

Help...please!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since this is not a question related to the Adobe Fonts (formerly Typekit) service – there are no Type 1 fonts, only OpenType CFF and OpenType TrueType fonts available via the Adobe Fonts service, I'm moving this question to the general typography forum where it is more likely to get a response.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without being able to actually see the system with the problem you describe, it is very difficult to point to what the problem is. But FWIW, the installation of fonts on Windows is fully controlled by Microsoft Windows code, not anything from Adobe.

Type 1 fonts aren't installed or handled in the same manner as OpenType and TrueType fonts. Installation results in various entries being added to the Windows registry. Simply having the .pfb and .pfm files in the \Windows\Fonts directory is not sufficient.

We are aware that one of the Windows 10 updates, a year or so ago, seriously broke font handling for fonts installed via the Install as shortcut process. If you rebooted, the fonts (all font types) disappeared. Reboot again and the fonts reappeared. This was fixed a number of months later. (FWIW, I was the person responsible for finding the bug, reporting it Microsoft, and hammering them to fix it!) However, if your system is fully updated to the latest version of Windows 10 (1809 or even 1803), you shouldn't be seeing this particular issue.

Since this isn't anything that Adobe has responsibility for and we at Adobe are not aware of any such issue that affects only Type 1 fonts, you might want to contact Microsoft Technical Support and see if they can better assist you.

- Dov

PS:     TrueType and OpenType fonts are just as much “PostScript fonts” as Type 1 fonts are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2019 Feb 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dov,

Thank you for your response.While I fight with MIcrosoft on this issue I've just resigned myself to reload the fonts after every reboot.

However... I'm not able to create a PDF (via Framemaker 2017). The New Baskerville font, which is one of the Type 1 fonts, converts to Times Roman. It opens fine in Frame, with no substitution.

If I print via Word, the New Baskerville font is fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FrameMaker 2017 creates PDF via distillation of PostScript. The PostScript is either generated via the PostScript driver or via FrameMaker's ancient PostScript Level 1 internal generator. One or another is “missing the font” somehow. If you actually have Acrobat installed (as opposed to FrameMaker's “headless” version of Acrobat), you could try “pointing” distiller to the location of your New Baskerville font via the Settings=>Font Locations dialogue in Acrobat Distiller.

But since you are having other, non-explainable font installation issues in your particular configuration, I am not sure there is any solution that we can offer from here.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You sir, are a genius! So simple. I just banged the hell out of it and it works.

Thank you. Only Microsoft to deal with now. Oy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2019 Mar 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dov,

After 3 weeks of being a ping-pong ball between Adobe and Microsoft, it was discovered there was a problem with Acrobat that required a patch from the Software Engineers. After applying the patch, I could generate PDFs BUT, they contained the wrong font. Weird font substitution.

And still, rebooting caused my fonts to disappear from the WIndows/Fonts folder. I reinstalled them as "install for all users." Now when I reboot, the fonts aren't missing. They're still in the Windows/Fonts folder and everything is working fine.

Just wanted to offer this as a possible solution. You, and the Adobe people I have dealt with have been so helpful.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot find the "install for all users" option (or any other option) when I reinstall Adobe Type 1 fonts. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When you install Type 1 fonts, you right click on the .pfm file and Install for all users is one of the options unless (1) you are running a very old version of Windows 10 (over two years old) and/or (2) you are running under a limited Windows userid in which case you need to logon with an Administrator-equivalent Windows userid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines