Glyphs in Open Type Fonts?

New Here ,
May 09, 2013 May 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have recently (last few months) been seeing glyph issues appear on text in PDFs rendered using Font Folio 11 fonts. The PDF is rendered using Open Type font (ITC Berkeley Oldstyle Std) and all fonts embedded. This is to create a logo and the logo looks fine. When it's added through a data feed to another product and that PDF is rendered (all fonts embedded and no Type1, TrueType, etc. interference), the original PDF (the logo) is displaying boxes with Xs in them for some/all characters. I've seen this before when there's conflicting font types on the same product or server, but that is not the case here - server only has these fonts, template only has these fonts (PDF properties confirms only 2 fonts) - it seems to be something in the rendering of the new PDF when a previously made PDF is placed in. We've not had this issue before. Further, we're only having it on 4 of the fonts in FF11.

Do I need to remove and reinstall the fonts on the server or was there an update to the fonts that may be causing this glyph issue? What am I missing? Any ideas greatly appreciated. Probably this is answered somewhere in the forums and I just didn't find it.

Views

913

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 09, 2013 May 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you can supply more information as to your workflow? What software is involved in creation of the content? What options are you using to create the PDF? How are you viewing the PDF? Etc.

          - Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2013 May 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm so sorry. We work in variable data products, orderable/previewable online via low-res in-line PDFs (which print hi-res), generated from the server (XP server). We work in both Win7 and XP. We use PageFlex (a Bitstream product). The logo we create using this workflow - we type in some data (say Schoolofmark, Inc.) and then, in the preview, this data will be underneath an image. The hi-res version of this pdf is saved and changed into a logo. The logo is then saved for a select group of live users. They order a product (say, a letterhead) and that logo will pull in dynamically onto the product. When it's pulling in to this product, on the preview and final file, the glyphs are appearing in the data we typed in the first PDF (the logo). We've been doing this process for years and this is the first instance I've seen of Open Type fonts glyphing when there's not another conflicting font. The servers are set up with the same fonts as the template libraries.

Here's the kicker, though. If I create 2 "logo" pdfs (logo A and logo B) the same way and use them on 2 "product" pdfs (product A and product B) created the same way - this is what I see:

Logo A fails on Product A (glyphs)

Logo A succeeds on Product B

Logo B succeeds on Product A

Logo B succeeds on Product B

So, I can't be certain that it's a font issue and not a template issue. Basically, I'm wondering if there's anything I'm missing in fonts before I move on (as glyphs typically are font related).

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines