Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help with transferring fonts across computers

New Here ,
Mar 08, 2016 Mar 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I would consider myself a novice Adobe user and I am having some issues with Illustrator. I currently use a windows desktop for most of my work but I also use a macbook pro. When I went into Adobe Cloud today to open some Illustrator files on my laptop (that I made on my desktop), I was told that the document uses fonts that are not currently available on my computer. I suppose that I (wrongly) assumed that if it was a default font available on one computer it would be available on the other as well. I haven't downloaded any fonts that I know of so I don't think that is the issue. Anyone know why this is happening and whether there is an easy fix? Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Windows and MacOS are totally different operating systems. There is some commonality in terms of “system fonts” but most of the Windows system fonts are not provided by Apple on MacOS. If you install Microsoft Office on MacOS, you'll have a more complete match, but still nothing you can readily count on.

If you are using a font with Illustrator on Windows and it isn't a font you explicitly licensed (i.e., it is bundled with Windows, Office, or some other application), you will need to license it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows and MacOS are totally different operating systems. There is some commonality in terms of “system fonts” but most of the Windows system fonts are not provided by Apple on MacOS. If you install Microsoft Office on MacOS, you'll have a more complete match, but still nothing you can readily count on.

If you are using a font with Illustrator on Windows and it isn't a font you explicitly licensed (i.e., it is bundled with Windows, Office, or some other application), you will need to license it for use on another computer unless the license agreement for the font allows you to copy and use it elsewhere (doubtful unless it is freeware or open source font such as the Google fonts).

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2016 Mar 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about fonts I bought from Adobe many years ago (e.g., the entire Garamond family) and have used on my old Mac PowerBook G4 (Mac OS 10.4.11/Tiger) . I copied the folder with those fonts over to my MacBook Pro (OS 10.11.3/El Capitan) but the Font Book doesn't recognize them (they are greyed out).

Are these fonts (I'm pretty sure they are Adobe Type 1) not compatible with El Capitan?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 14, 2016 Mar 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Type 1 fonts do work in 10.11.3 - I'm looking at a couple in FontBook right now. With Type 1 fonts, it's important to have both the outline files and the suitcase, but if you copied the entire folder, you should have all those parts (you DO have the suitcase AND the outlines in that folder, yes?). I think if FontBook has something greyed out, it's 'inactive' but should still show a sample. You might try moving the folder to your Desktop and manually adding the family using FontBook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, egmtype!

Somehow I hadn't copied the outlines into that folder. I did that, and now all of the Garamond family fonts are enabled. I appreciate your help!

Harry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may have spoken/typed too soon.

The AGaramond family installed fine, and all passed validation. These fonts are listed in Font Book as User Fonts, but not in All Fonts or Computer.

BUT, they don't show up in Pages, and even after restarting when a Pages document using AGaramond is opened, a warning window indicates the fonts are missing. They also don't appear in Show Fonts.

Is there something else I need to do to use these fonts?

Thanks,

Harry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sadly, this is not something I/we can help with; this is Apple's doing. They have chosen to filter out Type 1 fonts in some applications. Microsoft has chosen to do this in Office on Windows, too (not sure about the Mac version). As you have seen, the fonts do install and work at a basic level, but not in all apps. My apologies for having forgotten this. I'm unsure how to work around this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines