• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I install my type 1 Adobe Font Folio (circa 2002) onto my Windows 7 PC?

New Here ,
Oct 02, 2014 Oct 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently had to move to a PC running windows 7, I'm unable to install any fonts. I'm not using any font management software because I only need to use a handful of typefaces. The individual folders on the disk (old - 2002ish) don't have extensions. They're separated into 2 files; i.e. "AGarBol"  0KB and "._AGarBol" 56KB the PC doesn't recognize either of them. I've tried adding a .pfb / .pfm extension on both, it starts to install the .pfm file but errors out. HELP!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

You are apparently trying to move MacOS Type 1 fonts to a Windows system. That simply won't work for a number of technical reasons.

You need to go back to the original CD or DVD on which your copy of Adobe Font Folio was delivered. The Windows versions of the fonts (including the .pfb and .pfm files) are on that media separate from the MacOS versions.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are apparently trying to move MacOS Type 1 fonts to a Windows system. That simply won't work for a number of technical reasons.

You need to go back to the original CD or DVD on which your copy of Adobe Font Folio was delivered. The Windows versions of the fonts (including the .pfb and .pfm files) are on that media separate from the MacOS versions.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick response! The original CD was damaged and long since gone! Thankfully I have the fonts backed up, installed and work wonderfully on my Mac. Is there software which would convert these from T1 to OTC or TTF? The project/company I'm independently contracted for has "Government" related security issues so I'm required to work on one of their PC's (ugh!) so I'm trying to find a work around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is no exact 1:1 conversion of the MacOS versions to the Windows Type 1 equivalent fonts. Different font metric information is used in the different formats. Conversion to TrueType would be lossy. You also have the problem that the MacOS Type 1 fonts were stored in the file's “resource fork” for which there is no equivalent on Windows (or any other OS) - you would end up with file of zero bytes in length if you did a simple copy.

Unfortunately, you didn't back up the full CD to an ISO image. Otherwise, you could restore or even mount the image and get the Windows versions of the fonts.

If you purchased the Font Folio directly from Adobe, perhaps you could get some assistance in either replacing the CD or getting a low cost upgrade to a newer version of Font Folio which provides fully cross platform compatible OpenType CFF fonts. You didn't indicate which software you are planning to use under Windows, but the newest Microsoft applications and some other simply don't support Type 1 fonts anymore. But they do support OpenType CFF fonts found on the newer versions of Font Folio.

I recommend contacting Adobe Customer Support (not Technical Support) by phone to see whether they can assist you.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines