• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I create fonts in Photoshop without any font making programs at all?

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2015 Oct 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I currently have Photoshop CC, and I was wondering how I could make fonts. And also, I want to make fonts without any font programs, such as Fontgrapher and FontLab Studio. I currently don't have all of the CC programs, so can you tell me guys who to make fonts without font making programs?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Oct 20, 2015 Oct 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

“Making fonts” is much more difficult than coming up with the designs for each glyph. The formats are fairly complex, requiring correct specification of not only the outlines for each glyph, but font metrics including glyph bounding box, advance width, etc. as well as font encoding information.

Bottom line is that you really can't “make fonts without font making programs” as well as quite a steep learning curve in terms of the concepts involved.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 20, 2015 Oct 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'll second what Dov wrote.

Further, although there are some nascent pixel-based formats being used for color fonts, the primary formats in general use are vector-based. Photoshop's strengths are in pixel editing.

Somebody did make a plug-in for InDesign to allow you to build fonts from within InDesign. I think it's a brilliant yet insane exercise, but it exists. Indiscripts :: IndyFont  It's €39, and there is a free trial version, I don't know what the limitations are. But for about the same price, you can get a dedicated font editor such as our own TypeTool or Glyphs Mini. That seems much more sensible.

Disclaimer/qualification: I'm president of a company that makes font creation/editing tools. But I would have told you the same thing before I joined FontLab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines